Sunday, August 22, 2010

Freaked out

Thats me. Freaked out! I took Miley to her appt. yesterday and a different girl did her therapy. The doctor first checked her and she didnt react to anything. The first time we did therapy, they did ultrasound first and then laser. This time they did laser first and then Ultrasound. ( not sure if that matters). Anyway, the girl who did the ultrasound the first time ran the probe all over the racing stripe area, around her thigh and then into her groin. She worked slowly going down the whole area to the groin, then back up to the start of the racing stripe area. The girl on Saturday, worked in small areas. It worried me because I know you need to keep moving the probe. She worked in such small areas( marked with the red X in the picture) and then moved to the next section. I talked to her about it and she said it didnt matter.



But when we were done, and she did the right side last, Miley got up and I saw her limp. She has never limped since this started. So I was freaked out. Then today I was walking her outside and she had a weird gait.


">
After seeing this I was so upset. Why was she gaiting like that? She hadnt done that before either. Ugh! Maybe the pavement was to hot? I dont know. So later I took her to the park to watch her gait there. It seemed better but she was still skipping.
">
Its hard not to be upset when you thought things were getting better.

12 comments:

Dawn said...

Take these videos and your concerns back to the doctor. And ask about the techniques you've seen to get some info about whether or not the treatment caused this. I'd call the office tomorrow morning.

Chris and Ricky said...

Do you think they did the treatment wrong yesterday? I have no idea and it's hard for me to tell how different Miley is walking in the videos - I do see the skip. I am so sorry - try not to worry though (impossible, I know) because maybe she is still getting better and certainly they know what they are doing at the ultrasound/laser place? I hope Miley seems much more normal tomorrow!

Sara said...

I can see why you'd be upset.

Maybe Miley tensed up while the procedure was being done, and that combined with the small movements of the probe caused the limping?

I hope next time it goes better.

LauraK said...

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this Diana- it's never any fun. Sending good thoughts your way that things start to look up and your next appointment goes better :)

Unknown said...

I think you should go back to the doctor and let him/her see for themselves. It must be extremely worrying for you and heartbreaking.
I hope Miley gets better soon.

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

I wonder if the healing of the area could have made it a little sore? I have had when Chloe got a chiro adjustment once it looked worse and I had to bring her back in. I would definitely call and ask about it and maybe ask them to see her again. Boy you sure can see it in the first video. Ughghghghg, I feel so frustrated for you,....hopefully it is a sign of healing, I know that is reaching but....

Elayne said...

I put Lola through a course of laser treatments for her possible partial CCL tear and there was one session after which my husband noticed her limping for a few steps when he took her for a walk later that day. The P.T. said the treatment shouldn't cause limping but as a precaution I always gave her a day's rest after a treatment.

I have no experience with dog ultrasound but I can tell you from a lot of personal experience with it for my own injuries that you can barely feel it and most of the time you can't feel it at all. Unless the tech had the device turned up way too high I doubt it would cause a problem. I've found it to make an obvious difference with acute injuries but with overuse injuries it was harder for me to say that it helped or not. In any case unless they really screwed something up I wouldn't worry too much about it causing harm.

I hope Miley heals up soon. Dog injuries are no fun for anybody.

manymuddypaws said...

i am so sorry for you and miley! I'd be upset too. I also think you should call the clinic and ask them about your concerns.

Amy / Layla the Malamute said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry. I hope either she works it out herself, or the doctor can fix it again. Is it possible to request a certain technician from here on out?

Katie said...

I notice that Steve is stiffer after treatments sometimes too but I attribute that to how freaking tense and uncomfortable he is with the whole process/stranger danger/having to lay still and have people touch him.

This injury is *such* a frustrating one :(

Marie said...

Well, I've fallen really far behind on reading everyone's blogs while I was out of town, but I'm sorry to hear that things are progressing like you'd hoped with Miley's recovery and treatments.

I hope that you've been able to talk to the Dr. again and that you've seen some improvement.

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

How is Miley doing now? I have had her on my mind and hope she is looking better today? Take care, and tell Miley to hang in there!---Kathy