Saturday, April 3, 2010

Today's Trial

Isnt this llama cute. What wasnt cute was our Excellent fast run this morning. So you wont see any pictures of that. At the time I couldnt figure out what went wrong. We just werent connected. Then I realized I didnt look my dog in the eye to make a connection before I released her. Why must every run be a lesson? So the whole run was pretty terrible. She was just all over the place. She didnt stop on her 2o/2o on the a-frame. Then she really started running and I called her back to me instead of just going with it. Im not sure what I was thinking.
So for our next run I needed to do things different. I took her and played ball with her for a while but it was really humid so she didnt last long. Plus there was this plank with feet in the area where I played ball with her. She kept jumping on it like it was a table. Hmm. Im not sure that was good for her to be doing. So I took her further away. I put her up before her next run to give her some down time before our run. I felt like we were more connected then the first run. But we missed some jumps and she seems slow to me. But over all it felt like a nice run. No circling or going off course. Its funny , I thought we did well. But after watching the tape to night, it doesnt look good at all.

">

I didnt stay for standard because my mom was cooking Easter dinner and I needed to be back home by 1:30. Just so you dont think we are total slackers. My husband got up at 5am with my mom to get the Turkey ready and in the oven before we left. We also brought several pans of food with us so my mom wouldnt have to make so many side dishes.
Of course my head has gone back to being worried. Why was she running slow? Why did she jump the contact? And just so you can see how crazy I really am. See this picture and how she isnt putting all her weight on her back left foot. Thats the first thing I noticed. Maybe its just because her foots in the water.

11 comments:

Chris and Ricky said...

That's a cool photo but I really think she's not putting weight on that foot because of the water. And maybe Miley ran slow today because of the humidity. I hate humidity and always slow down when I'm hot (not that you might be able to tell the difference between my version of slow and slower, LOL!) It might take Miley a little bit to get acclimated to heat and humidity again after that cold winter. Just a thought....

LauraK said...

Sorry your run didn't go well. It didn't look bad though, she did seem a little distracted. Just think, with all these runs being lessons, you're going to know how to do everything right in agility in no time :) Have a good Easter!

Sam said...

I don't think that run was bad at all. Her weaves looked AWESOME. I counted two missed jumps and one knocked bar. I definitely think she looked calm and collected.

You're just like me, worrying about Miley's leg! I do stuff like that all the time. I'm sure it's fine, you probably just caught her in an awkward pose.

Anonymous said...

She doesn't really look slow, but it was probably the humidity. Sucks all the energy out of you, I think. But I worry all the time about Hannah too, so I know what your talking about. Hope you have a nice Easter meal with your family.
Diane

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

I personally think it was a victory because you felt like it was a nice run, it felt like you were connected and there was no circling or taking off. All huge victories. Was Miley really slow? How many YPS was she doing? I remember that study they did awhile back in clean run asking people how fast dogs were and the dogs that look the fastest are not always the fastest because of the frenzied nature of some runs that look fast but are not that fast, or some dogs that just run nice and all pulled together that might not look as fast but actually are. Anyway, I personally think you guys are making HUGE progress, and it is coming together but it cant all just happen overnight unfortunately- so I think you should list all the things you really feel good about-because you did recongize some wonderful things about that run when you walked out of the ring!!! I SAY GOOD JOB! You should be proud of the progress that is going on-YOU GUYS ROCK!.

Marie said...

As for each run being a lesson, at least you are observant enough to get something from each run. I know that's not much consolation, but I think you're doing great!

I'm sorry you felt like your runs were off with Miley today. I didn't think the JWW run looked bad. Maybe not up to her normal speed, but not bad.

Amy / Layla the Malamute said...

I saw a lot more great things in that run than anything negative. Her weaves were fantastic, and she read a lot of your cues beautifully.

I also agree about the picture. I don't think she was putting weight on it because of the water. Since the ground under water is usually a lot softer (more muddy) she probably remembers from experience that she'd sink in a little bit if she put weight on that foot.

Unknown said...

Sorry your run didn't go well. I guess every run is a lesson, and one day, magically things will come into place.
Have a great easter. Hope the turkey is delicious and maybe Miley will have some too!

Sara said...

Oh, I am becoming you! I have gone back and looked at photos of how Oreo is standing from over a year ago! LOL.

I thought your run looked good & fast, but you know your dog best.

As a teacher, every run SHOULD be a lesson. A+++ on learning from every run.

Happy Easter to you and your family.

Dawn said...

Well I loved watching the run...if Katie moved like that I'd be thrilled, but I haven't worked nearly as hard as you have! I hope it all comes together for you soon!

Dawn P said...

Aw Miley. You and Whisper were in the wonkey sheltie club today. I'll watch the video later. But I'm really glad you were connected, it's a start.