Thursday, April 29, 2010

Practice

I went to the field last night. We set up a open jumpers course to run. Miley did really well. She did drop one bar on each run. Hmmm.... The end of the run was an off side tunnel entrance after a few straight on jumps. Of course we didnt get it the first time. So I worked one jump, use off arm cue and call her, reward. Then again. Then when I got her the next time I sent her into the correct tunnel entrance. Then next time I ran the whole course she got it the first time.
Right before I went home I ran the course some what backwards to practice getting into the weaves at speed. Since several of the courses this weekend had that and we were unsuccessful at it. The good news was as Miley is coming out of the tunnel she is looking at me. The bad news is, she was looking at me and missed the weaves. I really had to hang back and show no motion to get her locked onto the weaves.


">

I did just a little box work. I made the left turn into the grid work softer (per Meagan suggestion) and she had no problems.

">

7 comments:

Chris and Ricky said...

PS - not that you aren't already a great handler - I just meant you'll be even better - :)

Chris and Ricky said...

Wow - that was awesome when you hung back a little and Miley went into the weaves perfectly and so fast! Running Miley really is about balancing all kinds of cues all the time - congrats for getting it and just think of what a fantastic handler you are becoming as you solve each of Miley's issues!

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

fantastic weaves, looked terrific!

Amy / Layla the Malamute said...

I LOVE watching Miley weave. That's always my favorite parts of the videos you upload.

Sam said...

For some reason it's coming up as an error when I try to watch your practice video. But, the box work looked good, so if that's any indication, I'm sure practice went well, too.

Sara said...

It is amazing how a slight difference in your body language can affect Miley. When she got the weaves, boy was she on fire.

Cynthia Blue said...

Very nice! She got the weaves good the second time through. Yup, gotta hang back and cue early for weaves out of a tunnel.