Saturday, April 17, 2010

Pictures and quirks
























These are most of the pictures I bought from the trial. I usually dont buy so many but you got 10 for the same price if I bought 5.
Miley has quirks. These quirks cause her to have aversions to things. First she hates the car. Im not sure why. She has never appeared to be car sick. No vomiting, drooling or panting. Her breeder had her in the car frequently as a tiny baby. The only thing I can think of is when she was 13 weeks old she got Parvo. The vet would let me take her home every evening since no one would be in the office during the night. So I'm just guessing but maybe it had to do with going to the vet everyday for 5 days straight and getting IV 's, shots and SQ fluids. So if she thinks we are going in the car she wont come to me. This is a problem since we go in the car alot. I take them to the park or field almost everyday. Then the leash got involved. She started associating the leash with going to the car. Which led to her not coming to me at the end of a run because I would put the leash on. (this also happens else where when needing to put a leash on) So I retrained all that with a clicker and "come close" command. I have a special leash that I only use for agility and never use it to go to the car. ( at leash I try to. I do remember making the mistake one time of going to the car with special leash on). See quirks.
Another quirk is when walking in the woods. If a piece of pine straw or other forest material gets stuck on her back legs fringe area she stops walking and wont move. She just stands there and all the pulling in the world wont make her move. I now know to check her back fringe area and as soon as the offensive item is removed, she resumes walking again. How much can a leaf or pine straw bother a dog. The last quirk I can think of is, there are times after being in the back yard that she will act like she is scared of me. If I go to the back door she wont come in. If Im sitting on the couch , she will come in but just acts like she is scared of me and will dart out the doggie door if I get up. I now know that when she acts like this, it means she has poop stuck to her rear end. I keep her clipped back there but it still seems to happen. The reason she acts scared of me is she doesnt want to get in the shower and get washed. We have a removable shower head so its easy to clean the dogs in there. She hates it. So you can see how she links these things together.And if she doesnt like what ever it is, she isnt going to do it no matter how many cookies you have. I just wish I could figure out the thing that has made the table a problem. Then I could fix it.





13 comments:

Unknown said...

All those quirks make miley who she is. I think they're sweet. What beautiful pictures too. Lucky the were 10 for 5!

Dawn P said...

Shelties and their rules!

Sara said...

Misty will stop walking and refuse to move if a leaf or twig gets stuck to her. Oreo freezes and starts acting all weird if poop gets stuck to him! Oreo really isn't that good in the car either. He starts circling & avoiding me when I get his seatbelt. I thought it was only my two freaky dogs. LOL.

The photos are great. I really love the first one where Miley is flying out of the chute.

Chris and Ricky said...

The photos are fabulous - even if there hadn't been a deal, you might have had to buy them all since they are so good!

Ok, Miley's quirks make me and mom feel better - I thought I was the only "quirky" one. Shelties and Sheltie owners need a support group - LOL!

Morganne said...

Sounds like Shelties are as quirky as Border Collies. Sage hates the car too (although once we arrive at our destination she is very excited). Summit has to be crated when I vacuum or mop as he attacks both. Sometimes, when I go near the closet where the vacuum is stored, he crouches low to get ready to pounce and bite the thing. He also attacks the garbage bag when I'm carrying it outside to put in the trash bin.

Sounds like a Sheltie will fit right in :-)

Sam said...

She's a sensitive dog. It probably makes training her really easy, but also means that she's more likely to invent her own associations to things. A win/lose! I wish you could figure out the table problem, too.

onecollie said...

LOL! the poop on the bum made me laugh out loud.
When Tate was young we were out walking & all of a sudden he laid down on the road, I thought he was having a seizure! Eventually I noticed poop stuck to his pants...once it was removed he could walk again!
He is now 8 & still does this!

Dawn said...

Wait a minute! I think you're all describing Katie! LOL! That idea about a Sheltie owner support group? Brilliant!

Miley is so very smart that she figures out stuff on her own long before you even know she's thinking about it. Even when she's wrong, she's sure she's right. Good luck finding the key to the table issue. It's not as if you ever gave her a shower on the table....did you? LOL!

Marie said...

I love the pictures. The photographer got some really great shots of Miley. :-) I'm always a sucker for buying the photos. My husband's usual response is, "oh good, another picture of Zoe." LOL

Lian said...

Fantastic photos! They are brilliant!

Well, shelties are sensitive. I don't know if this is girl sheltie thing or what but my girls seems to have the same kind of quirks as Miley. mmmmm ....?

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

Maybe it is all herding breeds that are all quirky. My shelties have a lot of quirkiness and the border collies really have a lot of weird quirks, guess that means I really like quirky dogs since that is what I keep getting ;-). See I know there are a lot of reasons I really LOVE Miley!

Nicki said...

Herding breeds are weird and quirky. Period. Right now Legend is going through a phase where she hides in the house if I go to let the dogs out to potty. Usually she wants to be let out like every 30 minutes, but now she acts afraid. But if I go out with them, to play, she's fine. Ugh.

Cynthia Blue said...

Very nice pictures! I'm a sucker for pictures too. :)

Those are some odd quirks... very cool that you work through them so well! I hope you find something for the darn table. :)