Saturday, April 24, 2010

Fletcher USDAA trial

Well its been a long day! I got up at 4am to be at the trial by 7am. Miley still needs to be measured. She got her third measurement but there is no CMJ and so far there hasnt been at any of the trials I've been to. So I have to keep keep getting measured. So even though I needed to be there by 7am to be measured I didnt run until 12noon. I hate waiting. While waiting I took Miley out to run and play ball. I also got a couple of cute pictures before the rain came in.








Apparently the President is here too. Yesterday, when he flew in, they closed all the roads. So some people couldnt get to the trial for a while. All I saw was the airplane. This is taken from the trial site.



My goals for the weekend was to just try to react quicker so Miley deosnt realize she was wrong. Im also downing her when she creeps at the start line. I really felt like I was successful until I watched the videos. They look so bad but it didnt feel that bad to me. I didnt get the pairs run on tape but it was just a big loop around the outside of the ring. Miley missed the weave poles. Im not sure what that was about. I didnt watch my partner run. I was to busy trying to keep Miley happy. She was just giving me the funnest look. You have to wait in the ring until your partner is done running. Miley wasnt sure why we werent running to get treats since our run was finish. The other part to that was they were walking Steeplechase and I hadnt been over there yet because of this class. So Meagan took Miley after my partner finished and I ran over and walked the steeplechase course. Im sure Miley was really happy about that. After I finished walking I took Miley and gave her some treats.
The first video is gamblers starters. I was able to keep it together until after the dogwalk. I meant to front cross to bring her over the jump that was marked #1 for the gamble. But I forgot and pushed her over the jump next to it and then it went down hill from there.
>">


Here is the steeplechase (performance speed jumping). She crept to much and dropped the first bar. My front cross was in the wrong place and she missed the jump. Totally my fault. Both times she didnt do the weaves, not sure why. BUT, I was able to get her back on course after the mistakes. This is huge for us.
">

We finished about 4:30pm. I thought Miley was tired. I thought wrong. She just couldnt settle at the hotel room and just kept barking no matter what I did. I finally took her in the rain to a park and made her walk. But when we got back, she still couldnt settle. I finally just ignored her and she fell asleep. Thank Dog.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Miley's pictures as always!
It's so funny when Miley starts to creep towards the first jump :) I've always laughed when I watched your videos, she's too cute!!! They were some good runs :)

Dawn said...

She's so fast I don't know how you can concentrate on anything like a plan. I'd just be trying to keep up with her!

Cool you got to see the president's plane. He and his wife are vacationing for a couple of days down near Ashville NC

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

The interesting thing is that it must be that this stress thing must be very common for high drive dogs to do something like that. Watching Miley around those weaves it is a different intensity, and show up a little differently but it reminds me so much of Lizzies zoomies and especially how she is when just a little something goes wrong on course, but Liz does not run in circles she takes off running and then the runs are getting less and less long and then goes and sniffs-but as soon as I bring her back she totally will get back into it and run beautifully. Breeze seems to have a higher threshhold but she does it too by say if we miss the weave entrance then she gets in this zone and starts yelling and barking and then keeps running at the weave entrance enters it the same exact way she did to start (incorrectly) and then starts this pattern of bad entry run out to me, dive into bad entry run back to me,and she gets more and more hyped up, the only way to stop her is to make her do some other behaviors before I let her try to go back to the weaves or to go on.
Very terrific job how you got her back afterwards and she seemed totally in sync again. She really reads her line so well and she is such a little speed demon. You guys looked great.
With how hyped up Miley gets in the hotel room have you ever thought of doing some of the relaxation protocol and teaching her how to relax once she has got herself worked up, LOL, I love Miley so much, she does like to keep you on your toes and you do such a great job with her, you guys are getting there.

LauraK said...

Miley had some major zoomies this weekend- but that's awesome that you were able to get her back on course. It's good that you're looking at it positively :) Your handling is so fun to watch, you gals are a great team- especially some of your rear crosses and distance work! We're going to try USDAA for the first time in June, so we'll see how that goes. Thanks for sharing the videos!

onecollie said...

she is so smoking fast it is amazing the distance control you do have!
I ran into the same thing in the hotel at our last show, Kort would not settle!! Finally at 2 am, I went out in my pj's to the van, grabbed his crate & put him in it...not a peep came out of him! It was like he was saying oh thank god!!, this is what you want me to do..sleep!!

Chris and Ricky said...

It's awesome that you were able to get Miley back on track after she missed the weaves and started circling! Good job!!! I love Miley too - I know for sure I wouldn't last a second trying to run her, but she is fun to watch and such a terrific dog and I know I always say this but you guys are on your way to becoming an unbeatable team!

I am afraid of trying to learn the USDAA games - did you find it difficult?

Chris

Sara said...

The photos of Miley are beautiful (as usual).

Great job on getting Miley back on track and reconnected to you. I know how hard that can be. Oreo doesn't do that in trials, but he does do it in other places. I'll be standing there with my hand down, while he's doing wide circles at top speed.....I'll be just waiting, wondering....when is he going to stop? LOL. I can imagine how hard that must be for you with a judge standing there watching.

Nicki said...

You always find the most scenic places. I wish Legend had Miley's enthusiasm on the start line. Isn't if funny how we always want some part of someone else's dog?

Marie said...

Love the photos, as always! It's really nice to hear and see that you were able to get Miley back on track after she started circling this time. That's really great!

Morganne said...

Summit won't settle in hotel rooms so he sleeps in his travel crate.

Fast dogs are a challenge to handle but they make us better handlers and eventually the timing comes together.

Miley is going to be a tough dog to beat once she matures and learns to handle the excitement of a trial.