Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Training tip #5

Photobucket">


In this month's Clean Run there are several good articles. One I didn't read when I first received the magazine because I don't run NADAC and didnt think it applied to me. The name of the article is "10 Tips for Training for NADAC Success". It really didn't have anything to do with NADAC like I thought. Training tip "#5 Train the dog to believe in what you do". The author states, "Before you worry about what the dog is doing, worry about what you are doing. Well don't worry exactly; just train yourself to handle or give cues deliberately. I don't think a dog can even begin to develop a consistent response to your cues until he can recognize them; so your deliberate behavior has to come first." Seems like such an appropriate time for me to read this. LoL Toward the end of the article it states:"-it's not so important which handling system you follow but that the signals/cues you do use are done deliberately. This means you have taught yourself control and awareness of the cues you give, and you have trained the dog to expect to get pertinent information from you. When he is looking for information from you and it makes sense to him, he can "believe" and develop a refined response." I reviewed my video's from this past weekend in slow motion. And Morganne was right, except she was too kind. I didn't give any rear cross arm cue at all. How unfair to my dog, no wonder she didn't know where to go. She probably thought , "who is this crazy lady running me? Whats wrong with her, does she expect me to guess where we are going?" No rewards for me. LoL I'm not sure why I ran like that. I also watch video from the trial before that and I did the same thing in the jumpers run. Hmmm. Maybe its nerves. I dont feel all that nervous, just a tad. But when Im nervous I tend not to talk, so no verbal cues, and I guess I dont give rear arm cues either. I will definitely be very conscientious of that this weekend. I also just watched my dog go off course instead of reacting. Something else to work on.
So this weekend I entered on Saturday only, in USDAA. It was suppose to be a two ring show. My Gamble run would be the first class of the day. Which worked out well since I have to be there early to be measured. Im not sure what happened but they changed the location of the show and its now only one ring. I still have to be there early for measurement but all my runs are toward the end of the running order. Plus I have to run Speedjumping first. Ugh! I thought I would get a chance to get comfortable with a gamble run first. I guess not. Hopefully Miley wont be to over the top with the first run from such a long wait.

7 comments:

Marie said...

Too funny. I got Clean Run this morning and just skimmed the contents, didn't even bother to look at the NADAC article either. LOL Maybe I should go back and read it.

I hope the trial goes well this weekend!

Chris and Ricky said...

Mom says she read the NADAC article but didn't pay much attention to it. Now she's going to go back and reread it!

Good luck at the trial this weekend! Sorry it ended up being a one-ring trial - maybe it will go better than you expect!

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

My agility instructor is always saying that it is like driving with somoene who tells you at the last minute about a turn coming up-do you feel confident with them? She says you have to be a confident driver so you passenger has faith in you and doesnt learn to disregard you, LOL, she tells us that all the time. Then a couple of weeks ago I was running Breeze and saying WHY cant she learn to read these lines? Well, Deanna made me run it again and I ran it confidently and Ill be darned if Breeze was reading all the lines, it did not even look like the same dog...amazing how dogs do if they feel like you know where you are going. Deanna laughed when I got finished running and said wow, who knew, maybe it isnt the dog....LOL. I totally agree with that article.

I can not wait to get my clean run so I can read it ;-).

good luck this weekend.

Diana said...

Kathy, the article was in Feb. Clean run. Diana

Sara said...

I didn't read that article either.

Good luck on Saturday. I think we can be nervous and not even know we are nervous, but our dogs know we are nervous. They know everything.

Morganne said...

Hey Diana,
Glad I helped and of course I was kind! One of these days I'm going to dig up old vids of Sage and I in Novice and Open to post on my blog so you all can have a good laugh and see how far we've progressed. Seriously, my arms are flapping everywhere!
It's all about the learning process and applying what we've learned in practice, and always striving to improve our timing, execution, and strategy which leads to solid communication with our dogs on course while having a heck of a good time!

Lian said...

That sounds like a good article. Can I read the full article online somewhere?

It is important that we understand how to send message/information to the dogs and I have learned the shoulder language and hope to master it!