Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Practice



( This is my self design of "World by the tail" sequence just so you get this gist of what Im saying. These are the same set-up as I posted last week from the clean run files)



I ran this set up in my yard. It took me a few times to get #6-8. I never could get the back side of the jump #11. I will have to teach that because nothing I did made her take that side of the jump. LoL
">


Then I worked some weave pole entrances. I was still having trouble with that one set up from a couple of weeks ago of the 180 into to weave poles. She didnt have any trouble in my yard but thats probably because of the small space and she really cant open up. I tried pushing for speed but that made her drop the bar on the 180. If I have the energy I take her to the baseball field and try to set up there.

">

Ive been reading "The Other End of The Leash". Its very interesting. I had to laugh when she talks about, you will never be more exciting that a squirrel. LoL How many times have we read that we have to be the most exciting thing to our dog. But she does talk about how to call your dog off when that's happening. Another interesting thing is words we use to speed animals up or slow them down. She did studies with words and animals. She found that short fast words or sounds ( clicks, hand clapping) speed animals up. Long slow, low sounds or words slow the animal down. Which in horses they use "Whoa" to slow a horse. So when Im trying to get Miley's head coming out of a tunnel and Im saying "Mi, Mi, Mi", Im really cueing her to speed up. Which is probably why Meagan tells me to say,"Miley", just a tad slow and and little low sounding. LoL, Now I get it Meagan.

6 comments:

Dawn said...

Nice job!

Chris and Ricky said...

Looking good! I'm jealous that you are getting to practice! We haven't done any agility (except one jump in the bedroom) since class on the 1st. Everything has been canceled due to the snow - including this morning's practice! Our next chance is a practice on Friday so we're keeping our fingers crossed!

Jules said...

Very cool to be able to apply what you are reading to your real-life training. I love that!

Sara said...

That jumping exercise looks like so much fun, and Miley's weave entry was great!

Short fast words/sounds speed animals up? I'll have to remember that one.

Sam said...

I really enjoyed watching those videos. I wish I had more room to practice stuff like this - it's hard when the place I train at is long and narrow.

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

I really like that book too, and when I read that part you were talking about in the other end of the leash and Control Unleashed -I found that very freeing and a relief, when they actually said you can not be the most exciting thing all the time, and that doesnt mean you are a loser or your relationship with your dog sucks, that made me feel so good because so many people/books/etc seem to just say that you have to be more exciting then anything else all the time, what ever is going on, and goodness I can not pull that off, then they make me feel like something is really wrong with me and my dog because I am not more exciting then a squirrel running with a hot dog under my dogs nose, LOL. So I like that those two books address that.

I also really liked how that book addressed how we might mean things we say or do one way, but how dogs might actually might perceive them, hummm, guess that is pretty important.

REALLY good practice, looks great. Miley is loooooooking good!