Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Hmmmm

Photobucket">
( I decided to post another snow picture. No snow here)


So, its freezing outside. Well at least to me it is. Its like 45 degreesoutside but the wind is whipping around making it miserable. I decided to work with Miley in the house. Im going through some Linda M stuff. I decided to try and see where Miley is in all this work. I felt pretty confident that she would do well. I wanted to practice the 4 turns on the flat. LoL, she couldn't do it. I was shocked. First when we started, I couldn't get her to just line up at my side without her going in a crouch and rocketing out past me. We were in the living room, where was she blasting to? Silly dog. I had to put us in a x-pen to get her not to blast pass me and run around the coffee table. Once in the x-pen she kept swinging wide with her back end to face me. Ugh! So I moved closer to the side of the x-pen so she had to stay in the heel position and couldn't swing her butt out. We worked this for a couple of minutes. Then I did go outside just to see what else she couldn't do. ( I know, way to be positive but you should know me by now) . But the 6 call to heel over the jump, she nailed them. No problems there. WhooHoo! So what do you think that says? I don't know, but Ill continue to work on the 4 turns on the flat. I also put her over the a-frame a few times. We had to go back and fix that too. She self release when I threw the toy. But after a few times over, she was back on track.

7 comments:

Sara said...

LOL. One of Oreo's favorite things in the world is to blast past me and run laps around the coffee table. We're working on it...with a nose touch to the hand, and sending him to his "mat". Herding dogs. Ugh. I don't know if I'll ever be able to stop that crazy habit.

It's good to know what they can't do...then you know what you need to work on & what you don't.

Chris and Ricky said...

Do you have a Linda M. DVD or book? I am wondering what you are using in case I want to get it. I am learning her system but sometimes I get confused by the terminology in class.

The recall to heel positions are difficult - maybe that's why Miley does them so well because they are challenging to her and maybe she finds the 4 turns on the flat boring? I don't know.... Still good job for finding out you can reinforce her knowledge of turns on the flat - might help you guys as a team.

Sorry but 45 is not cold! Mom is praying for 45 here - LOL!!

Diana said...

Ricky's mom, Im using Linda M book called "Developing Jumping skills".
Im going to a Jennifer Crank seminar in a few weeks and you have to know the 4 turns on the flat, 3 call to heels on the flat and the 6 call to heels over 1 jumps. I think we are ok but I want to make sure.

I know 45 is warm to most of you but we are suppose to be in the 60's right now. We die all summer with 98-100 degrees for months just we be warm in the winter. This winter, no such luck. Diana

Sam said...

Sorry about the cold weather - but like you said, we're a lot colder than that right now.. so you won't get TOO much sympathy from me. LOL

No, seriously, I hope it warms up soon. :)

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

I love Linda M's stuff. I think that has to be common that once you get past foundation and are running lots of full courses and blasting around a course and they love doing that, things like recalls to heel, tables, start lines, holding contacts where it requires a lot of self control probably do not seem nearly as exciting to the dogs ;-), at least that is what my dogs tell me, LOL.

Chris and Ricky said...

How cool - I didn't know you were going to one of Jenn's seminars soon!!! I think you will love her! So you'll be in great shape if you know all that stuff going in.

Mom needs to get that book and really read it and do all the exercises with me. We know some of them but not all!

Dawn said...

Sounds like a good book. Since we're still at the stage of being afraid of stuff we're not ready for it. But I should put it on my "to read" list so that later on I don't have to ask you what it is again!

Miley is just so beautiful in the snow!