Thursday, February 11, 2010

A teacher, I am not

Hey look, here is another video of our mat work. I only got a very short video, lucky you, because my camera didnt have my card in it. LoL

You know whats weird. I keep having this same bad dream. Its about me not getting the judges for our agility trial. Everyone shows up , and I dont have any judges. You can guess what happens after that. Im not sure why I keep dreaming that. We have judges for the trial. And I dont even handle that aspect of the trial. Im just the chairperson over the trial. I guess its just worry in general.

Today I helped teach a class that is suppose to help get people ready for beginning agility. Tonight we worked on the plank (for the 2o/2o), nose touches, flat work of front crosses and ball work. I was trying to explain shaping of getting all 4 feet on the plank. Im not sure if I was doing a good job because they just kept looking at me. They didnt know what shaping was, so I tried to explain it. Maybe I can find a good article on shaping. Im also planning on giving them an article on teaching a 2o/2o with the plank. I tried to tell them this is suppose to be happy, fun. I told them that they want their dog to be so excited when they bring out the plank. That the dog is thinking, "OMG, she's got the plank" and they jump right on with all four feet, "I did it, where's my treat". I didnt want them to use their body language to get their dog on the plank or off the plank. I sure hope I explained things right.

5 comments:

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

I bet you did a great job, I have found that as long as you are breaking things down and excited about what you are teaching people respond very well.

Sam said...

Anxieties like that are exactly why I wouldn't chair our club's new CPE trial. I get myself so worked up about that stuff! I'm sure everything will be fine, though!

Sara said...

It's a good thing that they were looking at you! That means they were paying attention! LOL. I'm sure you did great. Agility can be so overwhelming to newbies, they were probably just shellshocked.

Great mat work.

Chris and Ricky said...

I love Miley's mat work - I've never seen anyone do it before so your videos are very informative! Miley is doing great with it!

Mom really struggled with all the agility terminology and moves when she started - I'm sure you were explaining it all very well but they just couldn't process it all that fast. It took mom quite awhile!

Dawn said...

You mean there's terminology and specific moves you're supposed to do? LOL! We just run as fast as we can and jump and stuff!