Thursday, February 4, 2010

Lesson with Meagan






These are the set up Meagan had me work with Miley. They are from Clean Run Archives Nov. 09 http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=522

I don't know what was wrong with me last night , I just couldn't run a sequence. I dont think I ran one right the whole lesson. But Miley just kept working and I kept giving her treats. On the first set up I was to the right of the dog and post turned 3 to 4. I just couldn't get it right and she kept going off course to number 9. Ugh! So then I ran it with RC. I was to the left of her and after number 3 RC. But I think I was so far behind her that I couldn't cue the turn from 6 to 7. Then preceded to go off course and got lost. So I finally gave up the beginning and just worked the end. Started with 5 then thur 14. That seem to work better with a RC from 6 to 7 and 8 to 9 and then bring her around with an opposite hand cue over 9 to 10 and into the tunnel. Im not sure any of this is making sense.


The next sequence I didn't do much better. Im not sure what was wrong with me. I didn't feel tired but maybe I was. I woke up at 4:20am to Miley vomiting. So it really was a long day and I guess my brain just couldn't think anymore. I don't remember much about running this course except that she did get #9 to 10 without taking #3.


We also worked on the mat. I am now ready to start naming the mat. I can also start to use 2 mats and send her between the mats. Make sure my shoulders are facing the mat when sending her. Then start adding a jump to the mat. Have two jumps with the mat in the middle. Send her over the jump to the mat, then to the next jump , around back to the mat.

We also worked on post turns. Miley and I are terrible at this. Its just not a strong cue for Miley and she disconnects from me. Meagan said Miley feels like she isn't getting any info so then she goes off course. I need to practice decelerating coming into the post, use an opposite are cue and then accelerate out of the turn. But say I'm doing a post turn with an 180 of jumps, I need to use a word "around" and no opposite arm cue.

Miley was very calm during her lesson. Do you think its the mat work. I guess will see.

7 comments:

Sam said...

Sometimes mental exhaustion is enough to throw you off kilter. I HATE coming out of practice feeling like we couldn't get at least one thing "perfect."

Maybe the mat is really changing things and calming her down!

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

Hey cool you work between two mats now...my dogs love their mats and mat work.

Lian said...

Both sequences look very difficult to me!

Miley's mat work is looking very good too.

Sara said...

I think that's the same sequence we did in class last week. That circle looks VERY familiar.

So glad to hear the mat work is coming along. Two mats? You are such an overachiever! LOL.

Chris and Ricky said...

Yes, the sequences look impossible to remember - sounds like you did better than you thought you did.

I'm so happy for you that the mat work is working!!! I don't know much about it and I am looking forward to seeing Miley do two mats now and then jump to mat. I hope you get some video - hint, hint!

Post turns are tough for my mom too - she never gets the accelerate out of the turn part!

Jules said...

Mat work = impulse control. I bet you it has a lot to do with it.

Marie said...

Wow! That first course, had me all turned around. I think maybe it would have been ok with one of my slower dogs, but extremely difficult with any of the faster ones, and I can't even imagine trying to run it with a dog that has Miley's speed.

Thanks for posting all the information about the turns and the acceleration and deceleration needed. I can't wait for the snow to melt and the mud to dry so we can get back out and running again.

Very nice to hear that the mat work is coming along so well!