Tuesday, February 23, 2010

New goals

I never want to handle my dog again the way I did this weekend. My timing was horrible. We were off course, missing jumps and when she did take the correct jump she would drive out wide. All this shows me she didnt know where she was going. So my new goal is to try and learn so see my dog's commitment point so I know how soon I need to cue. How am I going to do this? Im not sure. I hope to work with Meagan this week and see if she can help me. I plan to slow down my videos and see when I should have given the cue. Then practice that section and put a marker on the ground so I have a visual on when to cue her.
Next, I signed up at the last minute for a USDAA trial this weekend. I only entered Saturday and just starter gamblers, jumpers and speedjumping. I wanted to do some easy courses to try and get my confidence back up. Im not sure the speedjumping will be easy but its suppose to be based on novice courses. So we'll see.
I helped teach the beginning agility class again. We now meet on Mondays instead of Thursdays. We had everyone demonstrate there dog getting on the plank. I think only one dog out of 12 could just jump on the plank without body motion cues. Most people were heeling their dog onto the plank. So we talked about not moving at all and letting thier dog figure it out and reward by putting the treat on the plank. We worked on start line stays and "walk, trot, run" stuff. Then came targets. I know a lot of people hate targets but its the only way I know how to train beginning agility stuff. I used targets to train my dog to go over the jump in beginning. It gave her drive and focus. So anyway, "T" and I have a different way of training targets. He feels the targets should be clear in the beginning. But I disagree. My dog has never been able to see a clear target in the grass and was pretty much useless for me. Im not sure what to do about this.
So I talked to the class about how I used targets and then tried a demonstration with a target. Now I haven't used a target with Miley in a very long time. Leave it to kids and dogs to make you look bad. LoL So I tried to demonstrate that if I didnt show her a cookie on the target, she shouldn't stop there looking for it. Boy did that back fire. LOl. I took off sorta running and Miley stopped at the target and she wouldn't move. Then went into a down. Lol I think I may have reinforced the down on the mat to much. She thinks everything is a mat target. Before class I was working her around a jump stanchion that was used for obedience jumps. It has a wide white base at the bottom. Miley kept downing on that too. LoL

11 comments:

manymuddypaws said...

I just went a watched your videos from the weekend- do you think that part of your course problems could be related to the fact that she just does what she wants in fast? Your fast is kind of like our gamblers, where you can design your own course pretty much right?

on the video, miley was flicking away, super wide, missing jumps, and just doing what she wanted. I wonder if you handled fast like you do any other course if it would help her to understand she needs to pay attention all the time.

i used to have that exact problem in gamblers with wicca. I would choose a path and if she took a different one I would just go with it. I then would have crappy runs the rest of the day...it took a friend pointing it out for me to see the pattern.

anyway, just a thought.

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

Sounds like class went well, it is funny how when you work with beginners you realize how much you have learned and how far you have come ;-). I think handling with Miley has got to be a challenge and really neat at the same time because it seems like she deceides where she needs to go earlier then most dogs-sometimes it just looks crazy, but then she just drives with a confidence and committment to where she is going. I would think That is going to serve you really well when the timing all comes together, that is probably why she is so fast. Anyway, I am always amazed watching your videos at the confidence and drive Miley has, and she just drives where she is going, even if it is not the right way, LOL.

Diana said...

Amanda, the FAST run was the first video. She ran it the way I had planned it until we got to the distance challange (gamble) then she didnt get out far enough to take the jump so I had to bring her around. You are probably confusing the fast run with the standard run where she is all over the place. LoL. It was a good thought though. Thanks, I can use all the help I can get. Diana

Sara said...

Diana, You are so great at figuring out exactly what you need to work on next. I'm sure timing is everything with Miley.

I agree with you about the clear targets. I bought some clear ones from clean run, and my dogs don't see them. They LOVE the yellow lids of stouffers stuffing mix though. They never miss them, and isn't that the point, especially in the beginning?

Sam said...

You're not the only one with a plan to shake some things up. I need to do the same to be a better handler and motivator for my dog!

I'm hoping that I can help teach a beginner class soon, too. Just helping the dogs get used to the equipment. They always need helpers at my club, I wonder if they'd let me help..

Chris and Ricky said...

Plans are always good and I know you will come up with the best way to help yourself and Miley feel more in control when running agility!

Morganne said...

Sounds like you have a great plan!
Miley is teaching you so much!

Question about the target. You mentioned that you taught Miley to take a jump by using a target. What was your body doing when you released her over the jump to the target? Were you standing still? No motion towards the jump? One thing I'm very careful of is to always make sure my forward motion is supporting the obstacle I'm asking my dog to take. I never want my dogs to continue to drive ahead and take several obstacles when I am decelerating/no forward motion.

LauraK said...

I bet that is kind of fun teaching a class. I love targets, I think they are such an amazing, versatile training tool. I'm surprised people were complaining about them.

Good luck at your trial this weekend, sounds like you have a great idea of what you need to work on with Miley!

Diana said...

Morganne, when I first use targets going to a jump my dog maybe on leash depending how much support they need. I send them over the jump, running to the target with them. If they seem to get it then I take the leash off and do it again. Running with them to the target and then giving a few extra treats on the target when we get there or when I get there. Hopefully my dog is beating me to the target. I dont think I would send the dog with out supporting them because then they get to focused on the target. I still want them to learn body motion too. Plus you dont want the target doing all the work. Diana

Morganne said...

Oh good! When you mentioned target work over jumps I envisioned sending dog ahead over jumps (while handler stays behind). This is actually quite popular where I live. But of course, observing how Miley responds so well to your motion cues - I should know you didn't do this (but I had to ask
:-)

Marie said...

I have to agree with you about the clear targets to begin with. My dogs didn't see them. I think they are fine for fading out the target after they've got the idea though.