Monday, February 8, 2010

Frustration and anger

This isn't dog related so you may want to skip reading it. I just feel so angry at my son. I feel like he really isn't putting in the effort he should be at college. I cant make him want it, he has to want it for himself. I just don't know how to motivate him. Does he even know what we gave up to get him to this point? We use to live in Knoxville , Tn. I loved living there. It had everything I needed. I had friends. I loved my job. I worked in the recovery room of a children's hospital. I worked days 7am-1pm. On call once a week and then every 6th weekend. Do you know how great that is for a nurse? Plus it was a challenging job where I had to constantly use my brain. I would go to work and completely immerse myself for the next 6 hours. I had friends at work, that had the same interest as me. But my son wasn't learning at school. The one thing Knoxville didnt have was a school for kids with learning disabilities. And he wasnt learning in school. He had to fill out this paper in 3rd grade and it asked if you could have one wish what would it be? He said "to be smarter". Ugh, that killed me. He wasnt stupid he just didnt learn like everyone else. SO I felt like I needed to get him somewhere that they could help him. We started searching for schools for kids with learning disabilities. I found 3 that I liked and one happened to be here is South Carolina. Then my husband tired to get a job in one of those 3 cities. We landed here. My son needed a special school. He was in the third grade and couldnt spell "the". He couldnt remember what certain letters looked like, so they were taped to his desk. Most of all he wasnt learning. At the end of first grade he still couldnt read. I went to the dreaded "m" team meeting, now called IEP meetings. You would meet with the teachers, resource teacher, school psychologist and speech therapist ect... I hated those. Its where you go and they tell you all the bad things about your kid. He cant do this and he cant do that. When I talked to them about him not being able to read they said he couldnt learn phonics, he was going to have to learn sight word reading. ( the kid who couldnt remember what letters looked like). They also told me they didnt know what else to do for him. He was in resources and receiving special help in class and I had been paying a tutor since kindergarten. I constantly carried flash cards with me and we practice when we had down time. I finally took him to the psychiatrist that specialized in learning disabilities. He tested him and told me that Lou had Auditory dyslexia. He needed a special program to learn to read. He couldnt learn to read like most kids. A is a,a,a , apple. So I bought this program called auditory discrimination in depth. It taught phonics through tactile and visual stimulation. It broke all the constant sounds in to brother pairs. Like, "t" and "d". One is noisy and one is quiet. These two sounds were called tongue tappers. They had a picture with the mouth and the tongue touching the teeth. you would go thur this little conversation with your kid talking about and feeling the sound with your tongue and teeth. Then "P" and "B", they were lip poppers. They had a picture of a puff of air coming out of a mouth. You would have the kid say the sounds with his hand in front of his mouth to feel the air. One was noisy and one was quiet. There is a whole lot more to the program. Anyway we did this program everyday, twice a day, every where we went. Vacation, Christmas friends houses,ect. Everyday no matter what. And guess what, he learned to read. It was an amazing program but it was hard for me to first learn and then teach Lou. But it worked. He is an amazing reader, even today. He loves to read. But it didnt help him learn in school. So we moved to Columbia ,South Carolina. We spent thousands of dollars on elementary school. But he was learning. By the end of the first year and knew the letters and could write completely in cursive. No more letters attached to his desk. When it was time to go to 6th grade they felt he was ready to go back to regular school. So he did. Again, he needed lot of help. Me reteaching the material when he would come home. But school wise things were going well. In high school I was able to back off some. He did need help in chemistry. After work I would come home and listen to the tape of the class lecture. And then reteach the information to him myself. Ugh, that was horrible ( for me). I didnt want to listen to a class lecture after work. But I sucked it up and did it. Because it was necessary.The last year of high school he did it all himself. I didnt get involved at all. My kid has no idea of the sacrifices I did to try to help him be successful. I just wanted him to have an education. And he is blowing it! It so depressing. I just want to shake him, "Do you know what you doing? ". So thats my rant. Im sorry, I just needed to get that off my chest. Im so frustrated!

13 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh Diana, I can feel the pain and frustration! Probably a bit of fear there too, because you wonder what his future will look like. I can't give advice as I'm not a teacher and I don't have kids. But I can offer my sympathy. How difficult this is, and would be for any parent. I think you've gone above and beyond what most parents would be willing to do. You can point him in the right direction but if he isn't ready to move down that path you may have to let him flounder for awhile and try again later when he's ready to help himself. I guess. So hard to figure out!

Sam said...

Wow, you have obviously done a lot for him so I can understand your frustration. I hope things get better soon and he gets more involved in his work.

Anonymous said...

Vent all you want, it's your journal! College is all about figuring out HOW to learn. They provide you with lectures, books, notes, multimedia when available... the student has to figure out how to put it together. It sounds like Lou has always been one of those people who learns things in a really unconventional way and now it's suddenly up to him to figure out how to do it.

Sara said...

Oh Diana. I wish my students had parents like you. You are amazing.
I'm sorry that you are so frustrated.

Chris and Ricky said...

Sorry you are so frustrated but you have every right to be - you are totally amazing and have worked so hard to help your son. The first year of college is so difficult for every kid and we hope that with your never-ending love and support, Lou will figure out a way to be successful! We know he can do it! Now he just has to believe that he can.

Lian said...

Hi Diana, I am so sorry you are frustrated and angry but you are a great mother to Lou! You have been supporting him all these years and you have done and scarifies everything to suit his needs. Hopefully he will soon understand what he should do to help himself.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to hear what you've gone through with your son. You're a great mom, Diana. I hope your son will get better soon and be more involved in his work.

Marie said...

No need to apologize. It's easy to see how agonizing this is for you. I really hope that your son realizes all you've done and all you hope to see him accomplish. He's really fortunate to have a mom like you!

Anonymous said...

Oh Diana - I can sympathize so much with what you say. Last year when my son was a senior in high school; well, it was the worst year of my life. I am sure that my medical problems were at least partially caused by the stress and worry of my son. Argh. And there is not an hour that goes by that I still don't worry about how he is doing and what he is doing. I keep telling myself that he has to at some point live his own life and hopefully things will work out for him - he will find his own way. And I hope that for Lou as well. You have gone above and beyond to help him already.
- Diane

Dawn P said...

I'm really sorry that you are feeling frustrated. I can imagine that he's also frustrated. Does he excel at something. Is he mechanical, artistic, analytical, good at computers, athletic.

I'm wondering if letting him take a semester or year off would be good, get him a job or internship with something that he would be good at is a fantastic learning experience. It could help give him confidence and get him back to school and maybe motivated by something. 4 year college isn't for everyone and maybe a trade is something he'd be really good at. If he's a great reader, I would have less worry about his future and it says something about his determination (and yours) and his intellect.

I really wanted to take a year off of school and my parents didn't let me and told me where to go and I resented it and didn't put the work in that I needed to. It was a big waste of money. I learned how to party, b.s. in papers and still get good grades but I procrastinated and really didn't care. I learned way more at my jobs and I had a bunch of them during school.

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

I feel for you and I hear your frustration, and I know my son was totally blowing it at one time and it was SCARY as a parent to not be in control or know how things would go. You have taught him a lot of things, you have shown him how to succeed and sooner or later he will pull it all together, it just might not be as quickly as you would like, but trust all that you have done and trust your son he might just have to fall a little to value what he has gotten and to figure out how to pull it all together himself, but those skills he will learn from that and what you have already done will let him grow to be the man he is supposed to be. I do think this is very common for this age, although no one wants to admit their kid is going through it. Those few years my son was going through similar things were the scariest of my life because I had to step back a little and let him find his way, he had to fall a little to really learn to depend on himself, but thank heavens it was while he was young and the risks were not as great as when you get older. now he is someone I am VERY PROUD of, he is very independant, he makes excellent decisions, but there sure were some rough years. All that you have invested with your son has paid off and it will continue to pay off in the years to come.

pogonip and kharma said...

I just had to delurk and comment rather than enjoy from the comfort of my chair. I hope he's getting the support he needs at college to suit his learning style. It's there, just ask for it. Keep being a supportive mom and keep being an advocate for your son when needed. Having a child who's a square peg in a world of round holes isn't any fun. You've obviously done a great job so far! And you're allowed to vent!

Anonymous said...

Mom, thank you so much for all you have done you are such an amazing parent and i hope you know it! ;) I cant wait to go to college and learn more so i can go do great things for other people my current family and my future family just like you have done so many great things for us. I know you really do get frustrated with Lou and you know i do to but when i read the book dear john it really helped alot because it made me realize that Lou is not a person with autism and lives in his own world that he has aspergers and he lives in our world in a way of his own choosing. He really doesnt mean to make you upset becuase he loves you so much that its undescribable. He wants to make you very pround of him and i know he does because thats how much he loves you and appreciates everything you have sacraficed for him. He loves you more than infinite. Thats how great of a mom you are! Mom i Love you so muchh!!!! ;) I love you!! hope you have a great day at work!