Thursday, November 12, 2009

Table Sends

I watched lots of our trial video trying to figure out if I was doing anything that is causing Miley to jump on and off the table. I first watched the whole thing. Then just the dog and then just me and then the dog again. Things I noticed. 1. Me hanging back and sending to the table. 2. Late calls to the table. 3. Miley turning the wrong way and having to turn back to get to the table and then doing a touch and go. 4. Miley zigging and zagging ( very slight movement I hadn't see before) when going toward the table. 5. Head checking when going to the table.

All of these things point to my dog not knowing where she is going. And not knowing her job. So I decided to run a test in my house. ( Its very muddy in the back yard). I brought the table into the hallway so I could send the dogs to the table . I could send to the table from as far as the crate. Much farther back and Miley didn't know to go to the table. Which means she doesn't understand her job. That's not that far, she should have been able to drive to the table. Her and Guiness had about the same performance. Which is odd , since I never train him in agility any more.

5 comments:

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

That seems like super smart training to me and a terrific idea to bring the teeter in the house and see what the dogs were understanding.

Sara said...

I laughed when I saw the table in your hallway. That is SO something I would do. Glad to know I'm not the only one. And Miley circling in her crate during Guiness' turn...hmmm, I know another dog who does that.

I hope your new training helps solve Miley's table quirks. You are so good at analyzing videos and figuring stuff out. I think you could start up a new buisness in clean run, "send me your videos, and I will tell you what you are doing wrong!" LOL.

Chris and Ricky said...

I agree - you are really good at analyzing videos! Training the table in the house is a great idea! Hope Miley learns her job and you don't have any table problems any more!

Natasha said...

I also agree with the above, you're great at noticing the tiniest things and using them to help solve problems. Both dogs have nice fast downs! I haven't worked on Wall-e's table in a while.

~Nat

Dawn said...

Neither of them likes being in the crate while the other gets to work, that's for sure! I hope you can figure it out. I remember when we got to try a couple weeks of agility, Katie was moving so fast she slid right off the table! But I never had the circling problem you do. You're probably right, she isn't sure what her job is, and she's too excited to stop.