Sunday, November 22, 2009

Lesson and more

<Photobucket">

I drove up to Charlotte today for a private lesson and then a class about gamblers.
Meagan set up some small sequences with table in them. She used this page from the Clean Run Exercise source book.



I had the most trouble with the second one (E) set up. To keep Miley out of the tunnel I had to stand pass the tunnel, facing the dog and stand between 2 and 3 ( probably around the 45 foot mark) I hope that makes sense. Then I had to call her to front ( so she came straight to me) and then turn and send her to the tunnel. I would have never thought of doing that. Then to get her back on the #5 table I had to rear cross her on the flat coming out of the tunnel. I tried sending her into the tunnel with me staying at #4 end and then calling her out of the tunnel but she kept turning the wrong way. I think Meagan must have done some other set ups with this but I cant remember what they were.

Next we worked on table sends.



We did this set up with me standing next to the dog at #1, then send to the table. No problem. She went right to the table. Next, I put Miley at the #2 position and sent her. Guess what, she took the jump and turned back toward me. She never drove to the table at all. So this is my homework. To work this set up. I may need to move in to help her but the goal is to be able to send her to the table from the last jump (#4) with out me having to move. When ever the dog makes it to the table , of course reward , then send on to another obstacle like the a-frame or weaves.


After all that I stayed for a Gamblers class. It was lots of fun and Miley did really well. She did self release herself off the a-frame 3 times in a row. I had to finally put her back on in the 2o/2o postion to get it right. Then did the sequecne again. She was trying so hard to nail it, her whole back end came completely up in the air and back down onto the contact. Poor dog. But she got the idea.

6 comments:

Marie said...

Sounds like a really good lesson with Meagan. I always find it interesting how difficult is seems to be for my dogs to drive to something without any movement from me. I think it's a really good thing to work on.

Dawn said...

Wow, sending her all the way from jump #4 to the table seems a long way for the dog to remember where it was going! But Miley is smart, she'll figure it out. You can see her smiling in the picture at the start. She's such a happy girl!

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

Sounds like a good lesson. OOOh poor Miley trying to so hard to get her contact, good girl, LOL.

Lian said...

The 2nd & 3rd Clean Run Exercises look hard. I hope our weather improve so I can try it.

We used to teach our baby dog to do the table sequence by shaping/luring him onto the table and lie down, then reward. After he understands table means lie down. Then, we backup to one jump, two jumps ..

We always put some food on the table to start with so we can send the baby dog to the table.

If Miley likes food, you can try that?

Sara said...

I wish my students would take their homework as seriously as I know you will :)

Sounds like two great lessons.

Chris and Ricky said...

Glad you were able to go for a lesson and get some table ideas from Megan to help with your table obsession - LOL! Seriously, though, looks like you got some good exercises to work on!