Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Im so mad!

The dogs were playing this morning and some how Mickey got his dew claw caught. So it was bent out and bleeding. I cleaned it up. I have to be at work by 7am so I asked my husband to drop him at the vet and get the nail clipped off. I knew my husband didn't want to wait at the vet so that's why I said to just do a drop off. First they call and say Mickey is due for all his shots. I told them I didn't think that was correct. I had him there is summer for his yearly and he wasn't due for any thing. I told her I would have to call my husband and him pull Mickeys file at home to see when he last got his shots. Well then she says she is sorry, she now sees he isn't due for any thing but I had to give him kennel cough vaccine because I dropped him off. Well we all know that the kennel cough vaccine wont cover him for today. But fine. I told her I just need the dew claw clipped. She said they might have to sedate him. What? He does this about once a year and they have always just clipped it and he is fine. She will call me back if he needs to be sedated. They never called and I go to pick him up this afternoon. The bill is 100.00 What???? I'm sorry to complain but I usually don't mind paying the vet for their services. I know it cost a lot of money to run a business but this I feel is over the top.

Exam 44.00
prep and or debride/flush wound 25.00 ( wound?, what wound?)
bandage 20.00 ( you've got to be kidding me right??)
toe nail trim 15.00
neo-pred with tetracaine powder 35.00
kennel cough vaccine 15.00

I'm sorry this is the most ridiculous thing I have every paid for. When I took my dogs to Bandfield and Mickey did this. The vet tech took him and clipped it , wrapped it and gave him back to me for free. Not that I think I should have this for free but 100.00. Rip off.
Next time I'll just take care of it myself.

12 comments:

Sara said...

That's like when you get an itemized bill from a hospital and see they billed your insurance company $25 for a box of tissues, which weren't even close to being Puffs with Lotion!

Lian said...

I can understand how you feel, Diana. My vet is the same, just ridicolous. They charged you enormous amount of money for a tiny job. Saturn broke his dew claw June and I have paid more than £100 to get it sorted and yes, my vet said he must sedate Saturn and kept him in for a few hours for the small job!

LauraK said...

it's always really frustrating when they charge you for outrageous stuff. the 20 dollar bandage is the one that kills me- Mickey probably needs what like 6 inches of vetwrap? maybe 25 cents. Glad your little guy is ok!

Nicki said...

That is excessive. And I agree about the $20 bandage-it's robbery!

Chris and Ricky said...

I would be mad too! Once mom and dad took their 18 year old cat to the vet and found out she had to have a couple teeth pulled - later that day the bill is over $800 - they found more teeth that needed pulled (the cat was left with a couple teeth) and they charged for POLISHING the remaining teeth! And the original estimate was $250 and they never called to say it would be way over the estimate! Needless to say, they never went back to that vet.

OBay Shelties said...

I feel your pain! I am dealing with idiot vets right now and need to switch but worried the next ones will be just as idiotic! :-) Kennel cough vaccine! What idiots! It makes you have less faith in them because you know it is all a money making venture. The could make just as much money treating the dogs properly instead of nickle and diming us for everthing. ARGHHH

Mary-Anne & the Shelties said...

I think a LOT of us have been through this and are fed up - the $20 vetwrap takes the cake!

If there were just ONE vet near each of us that took pride in doing their best in their profession, charged fair prices and actually LISTENED to their clients, word would get out and they'd have so much business they wouldn't NEED to pad the bill!

Unknown said...

I'd think about reviewing this bill with the actual vet. Come on...$20 for a bandage? And discuss the thing about kennel cough not even working in one day...they should have called you and told you that the dog couldn't be "kenneled" there and someone would have to come in and sit with him through the process and take him home.

Cool Design Shelties said...

It's horrifying how many money veterinarian demand for their services....it's the same here in Denmark - it's probably the same all over the world!! But it's still horrifying!! Here in DK the vet demand a starting fee on 500 DKK/110 USD/74 EUR and then all the other expenses build up a immense bill, so even a normal vaccination cost a fortune!

But I'm glad that your little guy is ok and unaware of the big vet-bill ;o))

//Bente

ain't for city gals said...

We are so lucky to have a vet that still cares about the dogs and does not think he is a "business". AND he has top of the line equipment when you need it...it can still be done...good luck...

amyinbc said...

I too am very happy through trial and error to have found a vet who cares about the animals more than padding his pockets.

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

I hear ya!!! I have my one vet that I can always get the dogs into on the day I need it, so that is why I put up with him sometimes, but no matter what you go in for it is always going to be over $100. I took one of my puppies in one time for diarrhea, which turned out to be nothing, no tests, minimal exam but of course he was able to reach his personal goal of making sure no patient leaves the office with less then a $100 bill, he gave me some kao. type med for over $60 for one dose, grrrrr, I sure do not mind paying a fair price for a good job, but gosh....