Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Im so excited.

You probably cant tell from this picture but this is a mini ball chuck-it. Its the smaller version of the chuck-it so the pole is shorter. But its for little balls. I've been looking for this forever. Miley gets very excited over the chuck-it. So I usually have to slide the chuck it up my shirt sleeve so she cant see it when we go walk. Its kinda uncomfortable walking with this long hard plastic tube in your sleeve. I knew they made the shorter chuck-it for regular size tennis balls but was hoping they had it for little balls. Yesterday I was at Wal-mart. I hate Wal-mart, not sure why, and try to never go there. But I went looking for a new soft crate . I didn't find a crate but found this instead. WhooHoo. We ha vent used it yet because its been raining. We've had about 4 inches of rain in the last 2 days and I think we are suppose to get 2 more. I wont be able to use my yard this week. It will be a swamp for a while.





After my last run this weekend, a friend was waiting for me at the end of my disastrous run. She said, "You have got to fix your start line". She also gave me the list of reasons why. I'm not sure why but it made a huge impression on me. Its not like I didn't know it was a problem but it really just struck me like a big neon sign. I really respect this person and she would give me advice if I asked her. But she would never just tell me things. I'm really glad she did this.





I did drive up to Charlotte yesterday for a lesson with Meagan. I wanted to work on start lines, tables and tunnels. We had three people in the lesson so Miley would be excited, especially when other dogs run. She didn't break her start line. I don't think she creeped at all. I practiced walking pasted her, running passed her, saying different words and trying to remember to either move first then release or release and then move. That way she doesn't release on motion.


No trouble with the table. But that only seems to be problem at trials. Do you think she knows I cant catch her so she does touch and go? I'm not really sure what to do about the table.



Here was one of the courses we ran. This is to the best of my memory so I'm not sure its correct with distances and stuff.



I did a 2 jump lead out. I am the red person. I did a call the heel type thing and sent her over #3. It did work for me. But Meagan said I should have been more forward, the green person, to give the dog better information and not have the potential of dropping the bar. Also the dog should have been farther back and more of a slice then what I had my dog. ( the red and the green people should be farther to the left on the course but to late to fix it now, hopfully you get the point.)

Next problem was the #6-#7. If you rear crossed behind #6 it would pull your dog over #13. You really needed to cross behind #7. But I was so far behind my dog I just couldn't get there. So I think I crossed behind #6 and ran behind #13 , to get closer to the correct tunnel entrance. As my dog was about to take #8, I was to tell her "tight" and do a false turn to bring her in to me. That worked perfect and she go into the correct tunnel entrance. ( of course Meagan had to tell me this because I didn't tell her "tight" the first time and just tried to do the false turn. She took the wrong tunnel entrance.)

Next problem was #12-#13. I wanted to do a post turn but that wasn't enough of a cue for Miley to turn and she went off course. I had to do a front cross and really call her name to keep her off that #5 jump. I shouldn't have run so close the the jump and held back a little more. I had to much forward motion. We did finally get it. The rest wasn't a problem.

10 comments:

Rohan Shelties said...

I had the SAME PROBLEM with my chuck-it! Heidi gets C-R-A-Z-E-D when she sees it, so I wasnt able to bring it on our walks because shed freak out...but then I found this:

http://www.ballistic-dog.com/BD_BallBlaster.html

just incase the mini-chuck it doesnt work out, or if youre looking for an alternative, this is great! The handle is pretty bulky (to accomodate the rest of the launcher that collapses into it) but it definitely gets the job done. It fits into my fanny pack that I take on long walks (because it holds all of our doggy essentials-first aid kit, water, bowl, direct-stop spray and whistle) and again, works quite well =0)

Good luck!!!
Sheltie hugs,
Heidi, Shelby and Sheltie-Mom Jenn

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

whoo hooooo, congrats on finding the perfect Chuck It for Miley, I love when something like that happens. Hey we should start a 12 step program for start lines, LOL, I am really working on ours because Breeze just gets worried on the start line and breaks because she is worried about me going away, not the most exciting thing to work on, but I suppose it will be well worth it in the long run. good luck.

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

PS, that ballblaster looks really neat, I would love to find one of those to try out.

Lian said...

Sing is the same, he gets very excited and crazy and keeps jumping up to fetch the ball off the thrower. It is very annoying when go out walking, at the end I just gave up taking the ball thrower.

The website Rohan Shelties mentioned is superb. I will try to get the retractable ball thrower, that sounds brilliant.

I like the course you ran at Megan. I am hoping to try it. Thanks for sharing.

Sara said...

Oh, I wonder if the mini chuck it would work with Oreo's orbee. His ball is smaller than a tennis ball. I'll have to go check it out.

Chris and Ricky said...

The mini chuck-it looks perfect for you!

Great course for your class - lots of challenges and it looks like fun!

manymuddypaws said...

in your agility organisation is there NO training allowed in the ring? I.E could you physically catch Miley and put her back on the table?

They learn pretty quickly what they can get away with at a trial.

I agree with your friend also- a start line is so important with a fast dog like Miley. I don't know what i would do without one for Wicca!

When I first started trialing Wicca I took her right off if she didn't stick the start line. It worked really, really well with her. I think it worked because for wicca the biggest reward was the agility equipment itself.

I lost a lot of money, and a lot of runs- but was losing money anyway when my dog was acting like a retard on course after blasting off in front of me...

just food for thought.

Diana said...

Amanda, there is no training allowed at all in the ring. Sometimes, depending on the judge, they will let you touch your dog and then leave. Ive seen someone at the table talk to the judge, make their dog sit and then they leave the ring. But its up to the judge. Lots of people have been whistled off for making their dog "down" after being crazy in the ring. They were just trying to get control, but it was seen as training in the ring. Diana

manymuddypaws said...

if the judge would let you do the "fix" that you need and then you left it would be worth it- but if the judge makes you leave as you are trying it wouldn't be.

hmm...

that's too bad, as I do think it would be worth a try...

LauraK said...

Oh how I would love a dog that fetched! Riley will sometimes, but it's never consistent and she'll only do it if our lab is fetching- and she steals it from him. I really hope my next agility dog will be ball motivated- so much easier to exercise them! I think chuck-its are one of the greatest things ever invented!

Thank you for the supportive words, I hope something comes my way too! I just need to get more fired up about agility and my blog (and life for that matter) I really enjoy reading your blog though- I like how you analyze the technical aspect of things. Looks like a tough course!