Sunday, November 8, 2009

BKC , Day 2

Last night Miley must have been really tired. It was about 7pm and I was talking to my parents when I realized Miley wasn't around. My mom went to look for her and she was sleeping in my bed downstairs. Very unusual for her. She slept until 6am this morning when I got her up. Also unusual, she is the one always up and ready to go. Then she wouldn't sit when I had her food bowl. I had to make her sit. I put the bowl down and she wouldn't eat. Wow, not Miley at all. I took a shower and when I came back , she was eating. Then after that she seemed back to normal.
We went to the trial. I didn't go early so I missed the Open Fast run. But that was ok. Ok here was the problem. I had to walk Open Standard and Exc. Jww at the exact same time. So I was stressed. I guess I'm not in good shape because it was hard for me to run both the courses. I tried to give equal time to both courses and it wore me out. How pathetic is that. First was Open Standard.



I thought Miley broke her start line but looking at the video I cant tell. I think I didn't trust my dog and gave her the release. So after the second jump , she was off course. I should have done a two jump lead out with a call to heal to the teeter. We got back on course after the tunnel and then everything was great. I wanted to get in front of her after the dogwalk to pull to the left so she would take the correct tunnel entrance. It worked. Great weaves and then the touch and go on the table but I just kept going. So at least no circling.

">

So after that run I went over to the Jumpers ring. I was up in 4 dogs. Just not what I needed. She broke her start line for sure here. She just kept creeping until she broke. Then I wasn't in the correct place and we were off course. She took the pinwheel backwards and I'm not sure why she didn't get into the weaves. Everything else is on video. It was a bad run. I don't know how all these people run all these courses and conflict's. Ugh! I cant handle it at all. What I should have done was concentrated on the Standard run. Then in Jumpers , when she scooted all the way to the bar, I should have pulled her from the course.
I probably shouldn't be posting all these bad runs but maybe it will make someone else , who had a bad run, think hey my run wasn't to bad.




">

And then after all that, I broke my crate.

14 comments:

Chris and Ricky said...

First of all, absolutely gorgeous weaves in your STD run! Miley flew out of the tunnel and how she collected herself and got the weave entry I'll never know! And you did great getting ahead of her on the DW and showing her the correct tunnel entrance before the weaves!

Also thanks for posting both course maps! The STD looks ok but the JWW looks tricky and harder than yesterday's course looked.

I think that there were some nice moments in your JWW run so I'm glad you posted it! Miley was so bad about her startline :) and she just doesn't give you any chance to get in to position! The pinwheel looks difficult to get in to from #2 (would've been easier going in the other direction) and the tunnel entrances look hard and then #17, 18, 19, 20 look hard too! Oh boy, we're nervous about exc. now!

And we have been worrying about having to walk Open STD and Exc JWW at the same time because we know that it tends to happen - and it happened to you! So now we all go from having hours and hours to wait between novice runs to having no time and back to back runs! CRAZY!

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

How did you break your crate? The weave entrance in the first run was gorgeous, and great work getting her to the right tunnel entrance, that really was a nice run. I wonder in the second run if she was just paying too much attention to you for a second and did not switch back to looking for the weaves in time-it did not look like she even saw them? I thought it looked like about half way down the weave line she switched back and started looking for obstacles and found that tunnel just fine.. Seems like that is a common mistake for young dogs...
I think that is really hard to handle when there are conflicts and things are happening so quickly in both rings, I hope that gets easier the longer we trial?

Diana said...

Kathy, I was trying to fold up the crate. Its a soft crate and I guess I tried to force it to hard, the pole broke and poked thur the bottom of the crate.

Ricky's mom, It is funny . First you wait for ever between runs and now you no time between runs. Hopefully that doesnt always happen.
Diana

Jules said...

I thought you did a great job keeping her working with you. In watching the runs I didn't get any sense of anxiety from you, or between you and Miley when she went off course. That's huge - you handled the new course smoothly..

Anonymous said...

wow, I'm jealous that you can run agility in November in your t-shirt and its sunny out. I know, having conflicts is tough for me, too. Don't know how people can run multiple dogs.
Diane

Lian said...

I think Miley is crazily happy. I can see her enjoying her runs eventhough you were off course. I guess you must strengthen your startline.

In the UK, some shows that we go, we wait ages between runs and then at the end, they come together, very stressful. This only happen in the small and medium only!

Diana said...

Jules, Hey I didnt even think of that. Its a positive thing. Thanks. ( Im trying to find positive things when we have bad runs and not focus on the negative). Diana

Sara said...

I agree with Jules. The fact that Miley wasn't circling was huge. I don't think Miley sensed stress from you at all...even though you were clearly feeling some stress! LOL.

Sara said...

At the two ring CPE trials I've been to, they've done an additional walk thru midway thru a group, to help out people with conflicts. They also let people move up/down on the list, or run at the very start/end of a group, if they have a conflict.

I don't know anything about the AKC rule book, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I'm sure there are a lot of people in your situation, especially if they are running more than one dog.

Dawn said...

I can see how you're frustrated, but everyone is right, Miley didn't recognize it, so that's good. She wasn't doing circles, so she wasn't stressed. I do think you're going to have to work on that start, she's manipulating you and it starts you out all stressed when she won't wait like she's supposed to. On the other hand, if you correct her it might stress HER out! Hard to choose I guess!

Morganne said...

How large was your class? You can move your dog down the list if you have a conflict in the other ring.

Chris and Ricky said...

Hi Diana - do you read Bud Houston's blog?

http://budhouston.wordpress.com/

He just posted an article about training the table that seems to have a lot of really good advice, just in case you are interested! Not saying you need advice though, just wanted you to know..........

Diana said...

Morgan, in the standard run there were only two 12 inch dogs and one eight inch dog. But in Jww I think they was maybe 20 but it could have been less. It was just hard to move. I didnt think you could be asked to move to the end of the line. Im not sure. I couldnt go first. Hopefully next time will be better. I hope to run as well as you some day.

Ricky, thanks. Im always open to advice so dont worry about posting stuff like that. Diana

Morganne said...

Yes, you can move your dog if you have a conflict. You can move your dog up in the running order or down. I did this a lot when I was running Sage in Excellent and Summit in Novice and Open at a two ring trial. Just make sure you move your dog early (like as soon as they post the sheets and before you walk the course).

You are a great handler (and trainer). It takes awhile to get the timing down with the fast dogs! They are not very
forgiving:-)