Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I'll never be a vet

Or for that matter a vet tech. Last night I went up to check on the ferrets. The one with the insulin problem has been doing really well. The other one has been getting really fat. I'm not sure why but she has. Anyway, I gave them some fresh water and the lighter ferret (the fat one) got up and got something to drink. Every thing seemed good. I went and sat on the couch. I then heard banging around in the cage. That's weird , so I went to look. The light colored ferret was having difficulty walking and kept falling over. I took her out but she just kept trying to get away from me and I was afraid if I let her go she would get under something and I wouldn't be able to get to her. So I put her back in the cage. It was tortuous to watch as she flailed around in the cage and finally landed in a heap in the bottom corner of the cage. Her head and neck all distorted. It was horrible and I figured she was dying. I shut the cage and went down stairs because I just couldn't watch this poor thing die. I text my husband who was at a dinner meeting and told him he had to come home and help me because the ferret was dead. So he came home and I got a box. We went back up stairs and the ferret was now sleeping in its bed again. OMG, it wasn't dead. I couldn't believe it. It must have just been having a massive seizure. I'm sure my husband thought I was an idiot. There didn't look there was any thing wrong with her. So now what do I do. These poor ferrets , what next. ( That's why I couldn't be a vet, I cant even tell when an animal is dead). When my cat dead a few years ago, she just keeled over and that was that. I still took her to the vet to make sure. I told them," I'm 99.9% sure my cat is dead but can you make sure."

8 comments:

Dawn said...

If this weren't so sad I'd laugh. But it is sad that the ferret is having so much trouble. Does sound like a seizure..

Nicki said...

Sorry to hear about your ferret troubles. As for the cat story, better safe than sorry!

Anonymous said...

Sorry your ferret is having so much trouble. Seizures can seem like your pet is dying. When I was still in school, students took care of wildlife cases that came in after hours. It was 11pm, and I had just driven home after being called in for a couple of baby birds that had been attacked by people's cats, when my cell phone rang again. It was the receptionist calling to tell me someone had brought in a badly injured opossum that had been hit by a car and had several babies. When I got there, I was pretty sure the momma was dead (all its fleas were jumping ship), but how do you really tell an opossum is dead? I bagged it up and put it in the freezer with the other deceased animals, but I opened the freezer VERY carefully the next morning just in case! The babies survived btw.

Anonymous said...

At least you did not take ferret to the vet and get soaked $100 ;)


Speaking of which, my regular vet was unavailable for a week so saw another. Another who did EXTREME testing and retesting on my dog. By the time he gave his 'diagnosis' I had had enough and made my way to MY vet for a second opinion.

Who basically told me the previous vet was a money grubber and had a bad rep in the vet world in town. (Completely professionally of course.)

I feel your pain over the outrageous $100 vet bill but consider yourself lucky. I paid out almost $400 before being reassured by my GREAT vet that nothing at all was wrong with my dog.

Your dogs are very regal (the shelties) and super cute (the Chi's). Curious how the big and little interact?



(amyswaterworks@telus.net)

Lian said...

So sorry to hear your trouble with the ferret. When I read the first half of it, my tear start rolling down but after I finished reading, I was actually laughing. Sorry!

Sara said...

Don't feel bad, that's how "wakes" before funerals originated...to make sure the person was really dead they wanted to make sure he/she didnt wake up!

Sorry about your ferret. That must have been hard to witness.

Chris and Ricky said...

Poor, poor ferrets! It is sad but it seems like they may not make it too much longer. I would've thought that ferret was dying too from your description. Mom used to think she wanted to be a vet, but it would be a difficult job and hard on the heart for sure.

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

OOh so hard to have pets going through this type of thing. (((hugs))