Monday, September 13, 2010

Not my day

Today just wasnt my day. I saw the first sick kid at 07:14, I had seen 5 by 7:30. Of those 5 , 4 were not sick. Thats how Mondays always are. Lots of kids coming because they feel sick, yea sick of school. Drives me crazy.
Next I get a call from the vet. Guiness's blood work came back some what messed up. His BUN is elevated and his platelets are low. They want me to bring him back in two weeks to recheck him.
Then its time to take Miley for her recheck ultrasound. They do the ultrasound and the hole time she is comparing the old films to the one she is doing now. The new ones look great. She keeps showing me how well the muscle looks, even and no shadows like last time. No dark holes, all even with nice muscle fibers through out. Im thinking wow thats great. She tells me I can start leash walking Miley and then add trotting over the next 3 weeks. She goes to type up the report and her assistant asked if I want to schedule a recheck. Im thinking, we dont need a recheck. Didnt you hear how good everything looked? I told her I would call to schedule the recheck, thinking not really, we dont need it. So the vet comes out to give me the report and it says, the right psoas( the worse side) muscle scar has resolved 80%. Swelling has resolved. The recent muscle tears are healing normally;healing is 25-30% complete. ( what the heck? 25-30% , did you see that on ultrasound?)
Left psoas muscle hyperechoic area has resolved. I was just dumb founded. She never showed me anything that didnt look right and I asked lots of questions about shadows, dark places, overly white areas. Weird. I was speechless and didnt ask anything. I guess Ill have to call back tomorrow because I just dont understand the 25-30% healing thing. That doesnt sound very well healed but I can increase her exercise? I dont get it. I was so expecting her to say start an exercise program because she is good to go. How come she didnt show me the parts there were on 25-30 percent healed, I just dont get it. Ugh! Why didnt I ask all this why I was there? I dont know..........

9 comments:

Chris and Ricky said...

Oh man what a day! Sorry about all the sick kids at school who weren't really sick. And sorry about Guiness' bloodwork coming back with the elevated levels. I hope he is ok. But I am majorly sorry about Miley's ultrasound appt. First of all what the heck were they doing letting those dogs including a pit bull come over to Miley? That is absolutely ridiculous! I am relieved that she wasn't physically hurt. And then what was up with the great reading of the ultrasound and then the 25-30% healing stuff? You asked a lot of questions and they should've given you much clearer answers! I hope you get better info when you call tomorrow. I would be as frustrated as you are or even worse. Hang in there and try to get some sleep and let us know what you find out tomorrow - it has to be a better day!

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

wow, that is perplexing....maybe the first 25% to 30% is the part you could actually see on ultrasound and the rest is soft muscle that can not be seen that well????? Just a guess....weird thought....Hope Guiness is doing ok...that just sounds like a day that you have to be glad is over with! ((hugs)) hope tommorrow is a whole lot better!

Marie said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't come away from the vet with a more clear answer on their part. It sounds like from what you saw, things are definitely better, so I hope it's just something that the 25-30% healing is just something that they can explain easily and will mean that you and Miley can still start increasing her exercise again.

Amy / Layla the Malamute said...

So sorry you had a bad day. I don't understand the way she phrased all that either with the percent healed versus percent resolved. You'd think that's something they'd have given a full explanation of. Hope they're able to answer all of your questions.

PS ~ I used to love going to the nurse to lay down for a period. Except our nurse was a little weird. No matter what you came in for, she took your temperature. This guy came in with a broken finger - visibly broken to any layman - and instead of taking care of that first, she whipped out her thermometer.

Sara said...

oh Diana, I'm so sorry.

Dawn P said...

That's a bummer. This rehab is LONG, LONG, LONG. Are you doing any range of motion or stretching? It was about 3 months before I started leash walks and ball work and then 5 months before I started adding the jump grids. I know you're frustrated but go slowly.

Unknown said...

Oh god.
I would have thought that Miley's recovery state would be a higher percentage than 25-30%! Are you sure they know what they're doing???
I'm so sorry this has to happen to you. I hope this phase goes away quickly!!

AC said...

Oh, wow. I hope your day was better today and you get some answers about those strange numbers. I wonder if it's not some sort of "save our tushes" statement. Even if she's doing well, they don't want to tell you to get back at it because there's always a possibility of re-injury. Then you can't come back saying, "But you said she was 80% healed."

Hoping for answers for you...

Dawn said...

I think you were just caught off guard when they said that at the end. They should have been saying that all along.

I'd write my questions down so they can't get you off course again.

I'm worried about Guiness too...I hope they just had a bad test and he's really just fine.

And the kids at school? Sigh. If this is how every Monday is I'd start calling in sick on Monday's too! LOL