Friday, September 24, 2010

Guiness update

I took Guiness to the vet Monday for lab work.  It all came back normal.  So today I took him back again to talk to them about him not wanting to walk.  Its kinda weird.  He will walk out in front for a while but then he starts to lag behind.  So Miley will be walking 6 feet in front of me and Guiness will be 6 feet behind.  Then sometimes he just refuses to walk at all.   Last night he was doing really well and I thought maybe I should cancel the appointment but before we finished he started lagging behind.  Then he refused to walk at all and  my husband had to carry him part of the time.   So back to the vet today.  They drew blood for thyroid (thats my guess what is wrong with him) and they drew blood for cardiac enzymes.  Apparently shelites are prone to  having heart valve prolapse.  But usually they get a heart mumer, he didnt have a heart mumer.  But the drew the cardiac enzymes to rule out heart disease.   The other thing it could be is pain.  So they gave me pain medication that we started tonight and see if that makes any difference.  So will see what happens.

5 comments:

Sara said...

Oh, I hope they can narrow down what the problem is.

Thyroid seems to be a common problem in dogs, and from what I hear, easily treatable.

Chris and Ricky said...

Thyroid is so common in Shelties - maybe that is all it is and can be easily treated with medication - fingers crossed that it is something simpler like that!

Dawn said...

I hope it is something simple too. No fun to walk two dogs going two totally different speeds! Plus he just doesn't seem as though he's feeling good. Poor boy!

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

humm, hope they get that all narrowed down, it is just worrisome when you know your doggies are just not quite ...right..and you are not sure why. My Maggie who was a sheltie had heart value prolapse but she also had a raging murmer her entire life, Skyler has thyroid issues and I figured it out when his activity level went way down....that was an easy fix....these dogs keep us on our toes dont they?

Dawn P said...

I hope they can figure out what's wrong. Are you aware that shelties run high on thyroid so even a normal reading indicates low thyroid? A lot of vets are not aware of this.