Thursday, June 10, 2010

Day one of seminar





I was finally able to up load some pictures of Ricky and Miley. Dont they look cute?
I did find out its hard to photograph a whitish dog and a black dog. The camera doesnt like it.


Todays seminar was great and Im exhausted! We finished around 6:30pm. It was a long day for me but Miley didnt work that hard or much so she isnt to tired. Ugh! The first half of the day we worked outside. We worked on the 6 call to heel positions. (you know, every time I try to type in "Call to heel", I type "call to hell". LOL what do you think that means?) Anyway Miley couldnt collect this morning if her life depended on it. It looked like we had never done any collection work. And if she cant collect on the flat, she wont be able to collect over a jump. Then when we did lateral sends to the tunnel, she was suppose to go thur the tunnel and turn tight and come back toward me. OMG, she couldnt make a wider turn coming out of the tunnel if she tried. Then on the last exercise she broke her stay and I went to bring her back and she went into circle mode. I couldnt get her to stop. The instructor had me stand still. Miley circled me, around and around , coming in tighter and tighter. And just when you thought she was going to stop, she went wide again and started all over again. So they had me walk away and then Miley stopped and came up behind me. I put her in her crate. The instructor said if it were her dog she would just go in the house and leave the dog. Game over. Every time she does it , just walk away, leave her. So I was feeling bad about the morning session. I should have gotten there earlier so I could have played with her to burn off energy.

Then the afternoon session went great. We worked inside on crosses on the flat. I told her that I think Ive confused my dog with my hand cues. We talked about it. So for me all my crosses on the flat were with no hand cues. Miley read them all beautifully. It was weird,she was calm , focused and right on. The only bad thing about it was, then you didnt get much floor time because you did the exercise ok. Dogs are funny. Most of the dogs in the morning session that did great on collecting with the call to heel stuff on the flat had trouble in the afternoon. We also worked on lateral sends and forward sends. I think we will be doing more of that tomorrow. Ive learned so much today. I hope I remember it all.

9 comments:

Dawn said...

Those are WONDERFUL pictures of Miley and Ricky! Doesn't he sit so elegantly? He looks almost like he's in a tux, ready to take his girl out for the evening!

Glad you learned a lot on day 1 of the seminar. Don't feel bad, I bet all those people in the afternoon felt awful too. Every dog has strong points and things to work on. Maybe you'll be able to figure out a way to handle the circling that works for Miley. That would be a big accomplishment in and of itself!

Have fun!! Enjoy day 2!

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

I am so glad you got time to post about today, I was thinking about you today and wondering what cool things you were learning. Was it a lot different then the VOD, or the same foundation things but you just got to try them out and work on them. Hope tomorrow goes well for you and thanks for posting.

Jules said...

Very cool! It sounds like a great day and you have a new tact to try with the circling - if you want.

The pics of Miley and Ricky are super cute.

Sara said...

A lot of people I train with walk out of the ring/building if their dog stops working with them or goes off sniffing and such. I've seen that, overtime, all they have to do is start walking away and the dog gets right back on track. I'm sure it might be even more effective with Miley, because you wold be much more consistent about it. At least they gave you something new to try with Miley.

I hope you have a great day two!

Diana said...

Kathy, that was the best part. All the stuff you learned in the VOD, you were now doing. And there was someone there to point out what you were doing wrong. I do think the VOD is important if you are coming to her seminars. Diana

Unknown said...

Wow. Sounds like you've learnt a lot from that seminar :) Hope it all works out for the better!

The pictures of Miley and Ricky are so beautiful. :) they look like a couple already!

Marie said...

Love the pictures. It's really fun that you and Ricky got to meet face to face. Seems like we all get to know each other long distance, but I haven't really ever thought of actually getting to meet anyone someday.

I'm glad the afternoon session of the seminar was better for you and Miley. It's definitely true, most dogs excel in one area or another.

Can't wait to hear more about the seminar tomorrow.

Natasha said...

I opened your blog and saw Ricky, and I thought, "Is this the right blog?!" Then I remembered that you were visiting them! Cute photos, Miley and Ricky are adorable together!

Morganne said...

I am SO jealous! Thanks for posting updates about camp.

Regarding Miley doing the circling... I think its good that you didn't get a chance to exercise her so the instructors could see the circling behavior and offer suggestions.