Sunday, September 20, 2009

BRAC trial , day two

Went back to the hotel last night. It was pouring down rain. Yuk! Miley and I were so tired that we fell asleep at 8pm. My daughter called me a couple of times. Once was to ask if I could make her jeans in to Capri's when I get home. I told her not to call again because I was sleeping. "What, its only 8 o'clock!", "I know, I'm just really tired". Miley didn't bark once all night and I had the TV turned off all night too. Probably no one went outside because it was pouring down rain all night long. Then it was still pouring this morning. I went to the trial site early again. Miley wouldn't use the bathroom because it was pouring down rain and she would just stand there like it was torture. I took her up to that barn area and let her go in there. I figured all the other stock animals must go in there, what's the difference.




So my plan was to run the first run of the day , which was Jumpers. If she acts crazy, then we are going home after that. No reason to wait 4 hours to have a crazy run. But she surprised me and ran nicely. Although still a little slow for her. She usually runs a 145 yd run in about 23 sec and these courses have been 120 yards and she getting the same course time. But at least she wasn't crazy. She wanted to break her start line and kept acting like she was going to break but didn't. The only problems where she went in on the 2nd weave pole and dropped a bar. The bar drop, she took off to early.

">






Open Standard:











We stayed around for our second run. I took her up to that barn area 3 times to play ball. The last time was right before our run. They had already started running Open Standard. I really wanted her to burn off some energy before getting in the ring. Plus it had been raining so much that you couldn't really walk your dog around the area. I decided to run the course with a big lead out. I know she broke her start line yesterday but I wasn't paying attention and that was probably part of the problem. I couldn't decided what to do. If I tried to do a post turn after the first two jumps , I really thought she would take the a-frame or at least go really wide. I know that the a-frame looks really far away from the jumps but when you were out there is didnt seem that way. Plus if she cant hold her start line, then I shouldn't be out there. Here was a chance to practice. Plus when watching the other dogs run, the ones that ran with their dogs and then rear crossed at #4, they either pulled their dog off the jump or their dog dropped the bar on the triple. So what did I have to lose. I did the lead out. You will see I look very unsure of her start line. But she held it and off we went. She read the lead out with the turn and did the triple without dropping the bar. And into the weaves. Perfect weaves. WhooHoo! Then the tunnel, would she take the correct tunnel entrance? Yes she does. I'm getting excited now. Most of our trouble spots are behind us now. Now the big one, the table. She gets on the teeter and then hits the table. And........ off the table. Crap! She does a huge victory lap around the ring , starts coming my way, and I send her into the chute. Over the dogwalk and she holds her contact. A couple of jumps to the a-frame, beautiful. Then the last few jumps and we are done. Beautiful run except the !#&@$! table. Guess were Miley had dinner tonight?. Yep, on the table outside .



">

So we are done until next Friday, when our trial begins. At least I can sleep at home. I hope it doesn't rain next weekend. Everything we had was covered in red mud. Even Miley's face was red. So she had a bath tonight. I cant imagine washing 3 or 4 dogs. Thank god I don't have to do that. Right now I'm washing all the stuff I brought with us. Everything is red. I hope it comes clean.





Doesnt she look happy to be in her crate?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that the Waynesville trial? That is my favorite trial site EVAH! I so miss it! Of course, I never trialled there in the rain, the weather was always perfect and a good 10 degrees cooler than Knoxville which was just fine by me this time of year. (Doesn't hurt that the "big time" 12" Shelties are all at WC this time of year, leaving open the possibility for placements!)

Beautiful contacts on your standard run by the way. It's lovely to see a dog who actually understands a 2o2o and doesn't just creep down step by step until released.

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

Oh man, that was looking so good until that table. Do you suppose she could be having a stress reaction and doing the zoomies (humm, who do I know that does that???, perhaps my dog?)? Or do you think it is a self control problem and she is truly celebrating?

that mudd looks unreal on Miley. Glad you get a trial at home next weekend.

All in all you guys looked awesome.

Sara said...

Both runs looked really, really great! I thought it was good that you didn't put Miley back on the table, since it could have been a stress issue for her.

I laughed when you said you fed her dinner on the table. That's awesome!

Dawn P said...

Her contacts are looking LOVELY. Your video convinced me to do 2o2o with Shasta.

Dawn P said...

Regarding Miley's time. Don't worry, it supposedly really varies depending on how the judge wheels the course. Also if there are no tunnels, the course times will be slower.

Chris and Ricky said...

Hey, great runs! Especially the std. one - Miley did awesome weaves and contacts and you guys looked really terrific out there! I thought your lead out at the beginning was the perfect way to handle those jumps. Those open courses seemed very good - challenging but flowing.

That red dirt is awful! I am surprised you can get it off Miley's white fur!

Morganne said...

That was a beautiful leadout in Standard. Miley knew exactly where she was going. Gotta love the young dogs when they get excited. Summit used to slide off the table all the time, then when I would put him back on, he would scream Woo woo woo!

Anonymous said...

With the exception of the table incident - it looks great! I agree that your lead out was definatly the way to handle it. Good luck this weekend.

Diane

Jules said...

Good luck this weekend. It looks and sounds like you had some real positives this weekend.

That red mud is terrible!

Dawn said...

Good luck this weekend! Katie and I will be rooting for you and Miley!