Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sheltie Fun Day

Yesterday was Sheltie Fun Day.  Its a fun raiser day for the rescue with food, raffle items, silent action, t-shirt sales and some other things. Someone from our dog club did a grooming seminar.  I didnt get to see much because I was in charge of the registration table.  Miley did get her ears trimmed and I learned a few things about trimming ears.
I wish I could have seen it. Ugh!  There were several sheltie rescues up for adoption.  Here are just a couple.

This is a corgi-border collie mix. I think they thought it was a sheltie at first.  He is a cute little thing.  Its to bad he is blind.  You wouldnt know it by watching him.

I cant remember this dogs name.  He isnt growling or anything. I thought he had a funny expression on his face.
Border Collie Rescue and Australian Shepherd Rescue was also there.

I left that picture small. I dont want to post peoples pictures I dont know. They may get mad.  While I was there I saw this dog with someone. It was a border collie.  I thought , "wow that dogs looks so much like my friend "T"'s dog".  They have to be related.  I went to take a picture and when I put the camera up , I realize it was my friend and his dog.  LOL  Too funny.  Him and his wife came out.  They were really taken with this 10month old puppy.  She was great. She loves frisbee and seemed really well adjusted to all the kids , dogs and people.  (That picture above was taken early. Lots more people and dogs showed up.)  She was in a shelter for 3 months but you couldnt tell at all.  She is ver cute.  Will see what happens........
I played a game while I was there.   You had to walk your dog while carrying a  plastic golf ball on a plastic spoon.  Plus it was a race against other people.  It was the first game and people were reluctant to play, so I said we would.  I had both my dogs with me.   We were doing really well and getting close to the finsih line.  ( oyea, if you dropped your ball, you had to go back to the start line).  So , I wanted to win right.  I started running to beat the two people who were close to me and right at the finish line I dropped the ball.   Awwww....  LOL
I help with the Canine Good Citizen Test.  The AKC donated lovely ribbions.   Poor dogs , it was hot in the sun.  I think most of them passed.  It look like the  hardest part was the three minute seperation.

I brought my xpen to put  my dogs in next to the registration table. Miley wouldnt stop barking at me.  I knew I couldnt leave her in there if I walked away because she will jump out.  Its only a 24 inch ht. xpen.  What was I thinking buy such a low xpen. I bought it when Miley was a puppy.  It didnt last to long before she was just jumping right out.  Anyway, I told the lady sitting next to me that Guiness would never jump out.  A short while later, I took Miley to go get her ears trimmed.  It wasnt far from where the xpen was. So Guiness could still see me.  We are almost done with Miley's ears and I hear someone say , "loose dog". I look up and Guiness is running scared right pass me.  Crap. Visions of lost at the beach go thur my head. I dont let him off leash anywhere anymore.  I immediately called him and he turned and came right to me. Thank god.   Sometimes shelties get the  "dodge the hand" behavior.  But he seemed relieved to come to me. 
Its funny the dogs and I were beat after the day. I think I got there at 9am and left around 3pm.  Even the dogs were tired.  They didnt really do anything.  Miley never even tired after a day of agility.

I couldnt get spell check to turn on, so sorry if I mispelled a lot of words.

9 comments:

Chris and Ricky said...

Sounds like a fun day! Thank goodness Guiness didn't go far when he jumped the x-pen! Mom wishes she knew what she was doing with trimming my ears too. Miley's look good!

The day must've mentally exhausted Miley - sometimes that is more tiring than physical exhaustion.

Sara said...

Sounds like a great event.

What a good dog Guiness was, coming back to you!

Love the black & white dog! His face is precious.

Dawn P said...

Glad you were able to get Guiness. Shelties.... you never know what they're going to do and they always surprise you. Sounds like a great day. Nice job with the ears!!!!

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

that sounds like a great day! I have a wire top for my xpen-you can buy them, they make the pretty fabric tops you can even have embroidered but I got the top for when I have puppies--I have a 48 in xpen and the dogs can still get out of it, I really want to train them they cant do that...but in the meantime the top works like a charm.
I want to know how to trim ears-grooming is a mystery to me, esp. with the shelties!

Unknown said...

Must have been such an exhausting day for you!!!

What a relief Guiness ran back to you! I know what you mean about the avoiding the hand behaviour. Eva is always like that. She still has the most terrible recall.

Amy / Layla the Malamute said...

What a fun event! I wish they put local things like that on over by me.

Dawn said...

I wish I could adopt all the shelter shelties. Sigh. And I'm glad Guiness responded so well. He probably had visions of lost sheltie on the beach as well, and I think for him those are nightmares!

Nicki said...

Legend's ears get out of control, I'm lucky to have a groomer friend who does them for me!

Marie said...

What a fun day! Those adoptable dogs were just adorable.