Thursday, October 7, 2010

Can I Run?

I took Miley up for another rehab appt. last night.  The vet checked her and she was still feeling good.  So the plan is to keep doing once a week therapeutic ultrasounds until the end of October.  Then I can start flat work with her.  No jumping or weave poles.  If I can get her to go slow, lol, she can do a-frames and dogwalks.  I told her that Ive been using the a-frame as a  hill in the mornings since there are not hills within walking distance. I told her Miley is on leash when doing it.  She said she was fine with that. So no off leash running yet.
I then picked her brain about cardiac enzymes and if she used them in her practice.  She said she didnt unless an owner requested them.  She said they had great hope for using cardiac enzymes but  lots of heart issues can cause positive results in dogs.Like your dog falling and bruising his heart.  You wouldnt have known about it but it will elevate the enzymes.  So will infections that may have gotten to the heart but not caused any problems. The good thing is that if they are negative they rule out the heart which is what I think my vet was hoping for.  Then she told me about her dog. She has Great Danes.  He was walking slow behind her up to the house one day which wasn't the usual for him. He usually walks beside her.  She went and got her stethoscope and listened to him. He was in atrial fib.  She did cardiac enzymes on him and  there were elevated but not nearly what Guiness are, and then she was worried because of the heart issues Great Danes can have.  They did an ultrasound and the heart was normal.  Anyway the dog kept having the atrial fib and finally had to be cardioverted to get back into normal sinus rhythm.   ( I hadnt said anything about Guiness walking slow behind me or sometimes refusing to walk at all).   So maybe he is having an arrhythmia too.  I told her about Guiness and she thinks I should do a cardiac ultrasound.  So my vet called me this morning and Guiness cardiac enzymes are still way high.  So they are making a cardiology appt. for us.  My husband is going to freak out with how much money Ive spent on dogs in the last month. Ugh!
.

5 comments:

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

Wow, Guiness is really going to educate us ALL on cardiac care in dogs now days. It will be really interesting to hear what the ccardiologiest has to say.....hope it is just a simple thing or nothing....Is he any better or worse then when this all first started?
Well, at least there is a hopeful sign of when Miley will be back to being her speed demon self.....can not imagine keeping her from running all this time, whew....that has to be a full time job for you right there.

Unknown said...

I'm glad it sounds like Miley is getting better. That is a relief.
I really hope there's nothing too wrong with Guiness though. Having any type of cardiac problem is not nice at all.

Sara said...

Boy, you sure have been through a lot with your dogs these past few weeks. I'm glad you're seeing improvement in Miley, but so sorry you now have to deal with Guiness having problems.

Chris and Ricky said...

I just went back and checked your posts and if I did it right, it was August 10th when Miley went on her 4 weeks of rest. Man, poor Miley and poor you! I think about you guys all the time and just keep praying that Ricky's very short period of resting (not even total resting) works for him. Seems like everyone I know finds out that their dog is more injured than they thought. I hope we are one of the lucky ones. Only time will tell.

Miley has had such excellent care from you and her team of vets and I know once she is back in action, there will be no stopping her!

My mom is in a-fib all the time still after 3 ablations and many cardioversions - weird - so I know exactly what you were talking about. I hope the cardiologist can figure out what is going on with Guiness. And hopefully your husband won't need a cardiologist of his own after he sees the bills!

Lian said...

Oh Diana, so sorry you have been through some rough times recently. Glad you see some improvements in Miley. These shelties need a big hug xxx