Monday, October 13, 2008

Private lesson for Miley

So yesterday was a great day. It finally stopped raining and drizzling and the sun came out. It had been rainy and over cast since Tuesday. I was Lucky enough that "M" would meet me in Charlotte to give me a private lesson. She was there at a trial and said that she could give me a lesson when she was done running her dog. So we met at someones house. I wanted her to help me with my training of my 2o/2o. She asked me to show her what I was doing. I'm sure she wanted to bust a gut when I showed her how I was training Miley. But she didn't say anything bad. She showed me what I should be doing. I want Miley to hop on the board, into the 2o/20 position from the side. I will need to lure her around and then onto the board. She made it look easy. But when I practiced tonight, it didn't flow easy. But its just the first day and Miley doesn't really understand what to do yet. Once I get Miley into the 2o/2o position , click and treat. The treat should be given to her low and press back into her a little so she puts her weight on her back legs. I should do this for the next to weeks. And once Miley gets it, start restraining her on the board so she wants to drive into position. Take the board to different places so the dog can do this position any where. She also told me to order the video, "Bridging the Gap" and practice the stuff on the flat. She showed me her dog doing is 2o/2o and how he held his contact as she ran by and said different words like banana and bingo. The dog didn't release until she said ok. He loved that contact . Every time we were just talking he would run over and get into position.

We also worked on the teeter. She showed me how to play the teeter game. You have your dog in a sit stay several yards from the teeter. You put yourself in front of the teeter right up next to the board facing the dog and have treats in your hand. Call your dog to you keeping your hand on the teeter so it cant drop until the dog gets to the edge of the board. When your dog gets all the way to the edge of the board you give the treat and drop the board. You can also lower the board with your hand under it if your dog isn't ready for the board just dropping.


We practiced this set up that she had used in her last class. I'm not sure its set up correctly but you get the gist of it. ( I hope she doesn't mind me posting this) So I did a lead out to the tunnel and Miley did a straight shot from #1 into the #3 tunnel. Then I backed up in front of jump # 4, stayed to the right of #5 and #6 then rear crossed after 7 and brought her in on 8 ect. We practice this course several different ways. Lead out to the inside of #2 and lead out to the outside of #2. We also tried front crossing after #5. I didnt do to well with that. I think there was another we tried but I cant remember what it was.

"M" spent a lot of time with me. I was very thankful that she did. She helped me alot. I was expecting an hour lesson but I think we were there almost 2 hours. I hope I gave her enough money. Ill have to ask her. After the lesson she brought out her 2 puppies. A jack Russell and a border collie. They were very happy and excited. Miley thought about playing but was to scared. She watched from every ones legs. Then she started getting growly when they tried to get her to play. Silly dog. She has no problem irritating the dogs at home to get them to play. Funny how things change when the shoe is on the other foot.

And.......... I came home today, let the dogs out and no fence fighting. Peace and quiet. (The dogs can bark outside. I have the birdhouse thing set on the lowest setting which is 15 feet. So the dog get to run and bark in the other parts of the yard just not next to the beagle. )

4 comments:

Jules said...

I love privates - they help clarify so much! Sounds like a good lesson.

manymuddypaws said...

Sounds like you have a lot of things to work on with Miley and her contacts- "M" had lots of good advice for you that's for sure!

I love my 2o2o contact- and I am sure you will see and feel a good difference when she gets the idea.

Chris and Ricky said...

Glad you had such a great private lesson with Miley! She'll be doing terrific 2o2o in no time!

Johann The Dog said...

Great tips for you! Fun stuff to work on.

I just love privates. I make a list before every private of questions and thoughts; then I make another list after the private for things to work on; then another list for the next private of what happened and new q's and thoughts.