Monday, October 27, 2008

Miley practice - the learning process



So this video is of me teaching and learning to do false turns and threadles. The first two runs are false turns to get into the correct tunnel entrance. Then second one doesn't look to good. Then we run a serpentine and that looks good. Then we start the threadle practice. I thought that when I was practicing that I was not just pulling my shoulder back but also stepping back with the same leg to cue the dog to pull in . But I was surprised to see in the video that I was only pulling my shoulder back. Hmmmm. Then as we are practicing she drops a bar. I rewarded anyway because she came in and that was what I was working on. Then she gets stuck doing a 180 three times instead of the threadle. So I set her up and I moved closer to the jumps to help her out more. Then she gets it. I noticed when I ran the treadle the other way she got it. Not sure if that meant she was understanding it or if she more comfortable on that side. Then I just let her run some fun stuff since what we were working on was hard and she did work hard to figure out what I wanted. So the last part is just fun stuff. I know this video isn't great and your probably wondering why I would post something that looks so bad. But its a learning process. Then you can go back and say , "wow, look how far we have come."





I took Guiness and Miley to the park to run off some energy. I took Guiness last week too. He ran the whole time fetching the ball. Most of the time he beat Miley to the ball. But the truth is Miley doesn't run full out when Guiness is going for the ball. She just lets him get it. She also wont play chase with him unless he has a toy in his mouth. Ive never seen him tag her but she must worry about it. Its funny, because Ive seen her tag him. Both of them played hard. I practiced downing them when coming with the ball. Then I would run and jump trying to get them to break their down. One time Guiness came running after me. Miley thought about breaking when Guiness did that, but she didn't. Yea Mi !! Guiness's leg must be feeling better. In June he couldn't chase the ball. He tried one time and gave up. That day he couldn't get into the car. Until last week, I hadn't taken him to play ball again. I didn't expect him to chase it. I was just trying to run Miley. But Guiness did it. I haven't seen any limping. Yea!!!! I'm not saying he is better but its nice if he can play ball again.

5 comments:

Sara said...

That was a great video for me to watch. I learned a lot just from watching you, and Miles does a lot of things that Oreo typically does.

As soon as our weather improves, Oreo and I will be heading out to practice threadles.

manymuddypaws said...

i think you need to be rotating your shoulders more- that could be why she is not understanding what you want all the time. I will see if I can find a video that shows you what I mean

Dawn said...

I don't know anything about agility, but I sure enjoyed watching this. I can see that if I start Katie in agility there is going to be a lot of work for me! But I can also tell she will LOVE it. She has SO MUCH energy, with the rain lately, and my broken foot we haven't been to the park and she is so wound up. I need to get her out there, even if it is cold and rainy and my foot hurts! :) Thanks for sharing!

Sarah said...

she looks really responsive - which is half the battle!

Johann The Dog said...

She's doing great! Agree with MuddyPaws about rotating your shoulders.

On this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Fvl-C_eNM

Johann was running wide between two jumps and I threw in a little rfp to get him lined up for the second jump after the dogwalk and set him up for the third before the weaves. It's at :27. It's not the prettiest, very messy, but you'll get the idea.

We so rarely see threadles, so we don't practice them too much, but the rfp movement comes in handy a lot. You may want to also look at Linda Mecklenburg's jump series in clean run, she has incredible jump practices for tightness - we're working on them.

Nice work - you guys are really do very, very well...