Sunday, August 10, 2008

Dropping bars

I set up a jumpers course that was used at our clubs spring trial. It was a novice course. I walked it and then ran Miley just like if we were at a trial. She dropped several bars. She is taking off to soon and I'm not sure why. She did this several runs in a row and then she seemed to fix it. Do I need to do some jump chutes with her? I don't have the room to practice at home like I do on this club practice field. Is that the reason she was taking off to soon. She has so much more room to run and is just to excited?? She missed a few jumps going wide but that was my fault. I also need to work on "go on" , she didn't seem to understand that command at all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow..Miley is a speedy little Sheltie and looks to be a lot of fun to run.
I watched the video you refer to in the bar dropping post, and noticed the bar dropped in the 1st pinwheel with your dog on right on the outer most jump (furthest from you) in both runs. But not in the second pinwheel as Miley was now on your left and had changed leads. You seem to be flat footed in the 2 dropped cases, but moving nicely in the other 2. My guess is Miley is reading your speed cue and not concentrating on completing the jump in progress.
Pinwheels are set up at varying angles, and no two are the same. I taught Ardi the pinwheel as a complete pattern. We set them up at varying angles and distances and work them going both ways, she has her favourite direction, as I am sure Miley does as well. Ardi recognizes them and sticks with them no matter what I'm doing or not doing.
I haven't read the jump style post on your blog yet, but will.