Tuesday, July 22, 2008

update on Guiness

I took Guiness to the vet on Saturday. His legs had blister/burn type sores on them. They cleaned them up and gave him antibiotics. While I was waiting at the vet, I received a call that my dad was in the hospital with a blood clot in his lung. We went back to the beach that night. Guiness had a very hard time getting up after a period of lying down. His back legs would just give out. We had to carry him up and down the stairs. Sunday morning he had a new place on the top of his left foot that looked like a bloody bus bubble. Hair had been twisted around tight in the location. I was able to cut it all off hoping that would fix the problem. My husband took the dogs and the kids home to Columbia and I drove to Georgia to the hospital to see my dad. On the way home , my husband said the foot place opened up and drained. I was hoping that it would get better with washing and antibiotics. But when I came home last night it looked bad again, and when I washed it , it opened up and bloody pus came out. I'm not sure if something is in it, or if he is on the wrong antibitics to cover what is growing. I have an appt. this afternoon at the vet again to get it looked at. My dad is doing better. They used the drug TPA to dissolve the clot. He went from 8-9 liters of forced air oxygen with an oxygen saturation of 90%, to 3 liters of oxygen with at saturation of 94%. So that is great. He will probably get to go home in in a few days.He is a picture of one of Guiness's back legs.

He is a picture of the beach that guiness left looking over the marsh. The house that found Guiness is off in the distance on the right of the picture. This is a picture of the marsh that Guiness was found in. In the bottom of the picture is that boat that took us across the river to the marsh. Guiness was back in the marsh about 30 yards. Thank god that alligators didn't eat him. Also , Ive never been so happy for cloudy, rainy days at the beach.

4 comments:

manymuddypaws said...

i can't imagine how scary that would have been! what a crazy few days you have had! I hope guiness is back to his normal self soon!

Chris and Ricky said...

Gosh, we hope your dad will be alright! And poor Guiness! Hopefully the vet will give him something today to help him. What an ordeal he went through!

Jules said...

Any word on what is going on with his sores? Poor Guinness.

Johann The Dog said...

And we're so glad your Dad is doing better too. What a time you've had!