Monday, April 28, 2008

What age to spay?

At what age do you think you should spay your dog? The vet says that he thinks Miley was full grown at 10 months. She had her first heat starting on March 21st. I was planning on getting her spayed on May 9th, which is 2 weeks before her first birthday. Recently I read that you should wait until they are 14 months to make sure their growth plates are closed. I don't think Miley has grown since 8 months. At least I cant detect it on my wicket that I made. So what do you all think?

1 comment:

manymuddypaws said...

I think it depends on your dog. Wicca was spayed just before she was 2- around 18 months or so. I don't think it affected her growth any. Remember that small dogs are done growing sooner than larger dogs. I think you'd be fine to get her done in May.