Sunday, April 13, 2008

clicking and treating

Guiness's first day home.

Today was a good day! I took Miley to the practice field and she ran well. No circling!!!!! It was the first time on the teeter out at the field. I have a teeter here but its pretty solid. The one out at the field isn't heavy and the board tips very easily. It scares a lot of dogs. But she did well. We practice motion cues. Staying behind the jump means collection and going beyond the jump mean extension. The picture was taken after practice.


I have been working on teaching Miley to get the leash. So after a run, she will go get her leash. I decided to shape it. She seems to learn better with shaping. Yesterday I click for a nose touch to the leash. She got that pretty quickly. Then today I first clicked for going under the leash. ( Its hanging on a post) Then one time she mouthed the leash, so I clicked for that. After that I only clicked for mouthing the leash. She did very well. I tried to shape with Guiness on getting the leash too. It didn't go very well. He would just either sit and stare at me or lie down and stare at me. He just wasn't getting it. He does better with luring. When I taught him to weave between my legs, I used a wiffle golf ball on a stick. I put peanut butter on it and lured him between my legs. He learned this in about 4-5 days. I tried it with Miley for 2 weeks. She just follows the lure but doesn't think.


The cone cavaletti with Guiness: He is still looking up at me and not looking at where he is going. So he keeps clicking the bars. Tonight I put treats on the floor at different places. That worked. He was no longer looking at me, only down.


Everything worked today. Tomorrow it will probably all fall apart. But so what. Today was good.

1 comment:

Johann The Dog said...

Yeah! Guiness is home. I'm so happy for you to have your kids all together again. That's quite a rehab schedule; kind of looks like my routines - the cone apparatus is very interesting.

Woofs, Johann