Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Contact training

I was watching the DVD "Contacts, Bridging the Gap" by Rachel Sanders. Mostly I was watching it again to see if there was anything helpful for the Monday agility class we are teaching. I guess I should tell you Miley was a wash out as the demo dog. LoL. I was trying to show the class how your dog should jump into position on the board where every you are. LoL . She couldn't do it unless I was running. Now we haven't use the training board in quiet some time so Im not sure if that was it or not. But If I stood back and told her "touch" she would get on the board and then do a 2o/2o off the side of the plank, not the end. If I was behind her and sent her,she wouldn't keep going forward into 2o/2o. She would stop. But that I wasnt upset by because I felt like that wasnt giving her any motion and no motion usually mean stop or turn. But to hit her position I had to be running or standing to the side or in front but not standing behind. ( I hope that makes sense). So as I was watching the video, Miley started watching too. She really looked like she was listening. SO I taped her.

">

Im still working on the mat work but have backed off some. She was acting a little crazy. At the trial this weekend, I was walking passed some plastic chairs with a small plastic table. She jumped on the table and downed. I didnt cue, her to do this we were just walking to the ring. I havent even put the mat on the table yet. Silly dog. My other problem is , when I start counting like the judge she is getting excited and started lifting off the mat. Ugh! Something else to add into the picture and fix. I guess better now than later.

I dont know what is wrong with me. I haven't really done much agility lately. And Im way off on our exercise schedule.The weather hasn't been great. I thought I was going to have to jump through the TV and strangle the meteorologist . He was saying that we should be 16 degrees warmer today. It was 49 degrees and it should be 65 degrees. What the heck? Why did he feel the need to tell me that? Im sick of this weather. Im sorry, I know many of you have it worst but Im just not use to this. I need warm and sunny.

11 comments:

Morganne said...

I LOVED the video! Miley is not only very cute, you can see that fantastic intelligence as she watches the RS video.
I haven't trained my dogs much either. We've been working the 2x2's and the contact board but that is pretty much all we've been able to train. The agility field has standing water and ice, mud, snow...

Sam said...

I'm off schedule too and feel like I haven't been doing anything! Hope the weather gets better and your spirits lift soon!

Unknown said...

Wow, Diana! I think Miley WAS watching. I'm sure she understood quite a bit of it. That was the cutest thing I've ever seen her do!

Sara said...

Miley was so sweet watching the video. Wonder what she was thinking?

I think there is nothing wrong with taking a break once in awhile. Especially when the weather is bad.

Chris and Ricky said...

Miley watching that video is so darn cute!!! She really does seem to be paying attention to what they are doing!

I think this is a bad training time of year for everybody. Our backyard is STILL covered in snow and it's not likely that I will get any training in before Sunday. So we feel your pain!

Dawn said...

Miley is WONDERFUL! I think she's thinking about what you're saying on the video and evaluating her performance! LOL!

Hope it gets better weather wise down there soon. I have family in the south and they are just as sick of it as you, so I don't think there's anything wrong with you at all!

Anonymous said...

That is too cute! Miley looks so very smart -- you can just see the wheels turning in her head.

I think you are getting the kind of wierd winter we had last year. Makes it hard to do ANYTHING I know. It will be over soon.

Diane

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

Goodness with all the weather you guys have been having, it is amazing you have done all you have done ;-), I would be proud of that if I was you!

Lian said...

Miley is so cute watching the video!

My training seems to go backwards and Crufts is next week! You are not alone!

Nicki said...

I'd be pretty happy with 49. Haven't even begun to think about 65 yet!

Dawn P said...

Gosh, I'd be so happy with 49 degrees. LOL