Wednesday, April 15, 2009

running a-frame

The above video goes with this post. I couldnt get it match up with my post. I guess I need a class.





I took Miley the the training field today. We did have a few good work outs. Sometimes things were great but other things were not. Her running a-frame looked good. I did reward one hit in the box where her back feet weren't in. Ugh!


The dogwalk, I'm not sure what to do about it. She repeatedly ran off the end without stopping. Now we have only been working the 12 foot down ramp for the last few weeks. I'm not sure if that is what the problem is or if its from jumping the contact at the last trial. I did back chain before I started and she seems to get it every time. But once we ran the whole dogwalk she would jump the contact. The first time she did it, I said "no" and made her come back and wait at the bottom of the contact until I released her. Then she did it again. I took her off the field and put her in the car. I brought her out again and she jumped it again. I told her "no " again and put her back on the contact. I ran it once more and she got it and stopped. I rewarded big time. Lots of praise and chicken bits. I left it at that and didn't run it again. But it wasn't fun doing any of the correction. It made me feel bad. I'm not sure why. I just didn't know what else to do to try to make her understand. Next weekend I'm taking her to a B-match in Charleston. It should feel like a real trial and we will see what happens. I'm beginning to think I should just go back to a running contact. I don't what this to be a problem the rest of our agility career together. So like I said, Ill take her to the b-match and then do one more trial and make a decision after that.



I guess I haven't taken Miley to the field in a long time. We went during the day because I had to day off. I had to take Stephanie to the doctor for a check up. I figured it would be nice and quiet at the field. Well guess what. Tons of cars! I couldn't get Miley under control. I think maybe 30 cars came through. And she chased them all. As long as I was working her she didn't leave. But if I was walking a course or moving jumps,she chased the cars. I couldn't call her off once. Maybe soon I can get out there with a long line and just practice not chasing cars. All that previous work blown to bits. Ugh!!!

Whats wrong with this picture? My car and the horse are in the same field. Hmmm. What to do. Do horses run out the gate when you open it like a dog would? I moved my car as close to the gate as I could and still be able to open the gate. The horse didnt run out, thank goodness. I didnt see him/her when I drove in. Usually the horses are in another fenced in area.

5 comments:

Dawn said...

It's hard to see. Is she still jumping over the yellow?

Diana said...

It is hard to see. I used youtube to post the video. But when I slowed it down at home she was in the yellow. But I do need her to come down more into the yellow so there is no question. Diana

Paws on the Run said...

what command are you using for your 2o/2o?
In My opinion, you need to do more backchaining with the dogwalk. While retraining your contacts it is not ideal to be entering trials either as the dog is then getting a chance to practice the wrong behaviour. Especially with a dog like Miley. Also, i don't think that at this point you can correct her by taking her away from the equipment. She needs to be 110% sure of her job before you have a consequence like that. When she comes off you need to redo the whole thing- not just pop her on the end again- the dog needs to learn how to drive into position and rock back on their rear- backing up on the 2on2off position won't reinforce what you need.

just some thoughts..

amanda at manymuddypaws

Sara said...

Congrats on using youtube!

When posting youtube videos with blogger I found I had to do this:

When in a create new post mode:

Under the word "link" click "add enclosure link" then where it says URL you will put in the http link (or URL code) to your video

Then in your post, switch from "compose" mode to "edit html" mode. Then copy and paste the "embed" code from youtube.
Hope that helps.

Of course, the way you did it works too:) DOn't you just love technology?

Chris and Ricky said...

Amanda gave you some advice that you can definitely try. I always think Miley looks good because she is so jazzed up to be doing agility - her enthusiasm is inspiring! You guys have a great place to practice - horses and all!
(but I would chase evey single car too!)