Sunday, June 8, 2008

Boy is it hot

Here is Miley swimming calmly.
Here is Guiness's panic swimming.

Its been over 100 degrees for the last 3 days. We are hoping for a break soon.
On Saturday we got up at 5 am. Practiced agility at 6:30. Went out on the lake by 7:30am. We went to an island that has a small beach on it. Its nice because the water is all sandy and not the red clay we have here. The dogs had fun. Guiness doesn't like swimming but Miley did very well. She didn't seem to mind me putting her in the water and sometimes she even swam around. But she never went into the water herself. Guiness's favorite thing was digging in the sand. I tried to get a picture but none of them turned out right.

Later that day I drove to Charlotte for a private lesson and then took a class. I really like to take classes because then your dog has to work with other dogs around. And when you work alone at lot you worry how your dog will respond. She was fine. She was even able to work with a sheltie barking right at the start line of the exercise. It was the only shade that everyone could stand in so that's why he was at the start line. She did very well in the class. We had one problem with a "come to heel" out of a tunnel and over a jump. She needed to come to heel to make a tight turn and make the dog walk. We have practice "come to heel" but just not with enough speed so she really has to collect.Something to work on. I wet her down each time her turn was over and she seemed ok. I know she doesn't like it but I don't want her to have a heat stroke. Class was at 6pm but it was still in the high 90's. I took the private lesson at 4pm. It was really hot then. She did work but if you stopped to talk about a problem, she would run to the car and lay in the shade. ( you know its bad when Miley runs to the car, she hates the car) I learned alot and have some great exercises to work on. O course I'm late with my cues and my body isn't in the right spot and that's why she is going off course. I knew I was doing something wrong, but unless someone shows you where you body was or where you gave the verbal cue, its hard to know what is wrong. It was a long day. We got home at 10pm only to wake up at 5am to poor Roxy's problem. But she now seems fine.

2 comments:

Chris and Ricky said...

I thought 90 was hot! Poor Miley! Having agility class in that heat! I won't feel sorry for myself any more. The swimming looks fun - I kayaked last summer but never really swam. Maybe this summer!

manymuddypaws said...

Poor Miley! Sounds like she did well despite the heat! That's great that you got some feedback about her- that is one of the hard parts about training by yourself- but it sounds like you are on the right track!

Wicca says that coming to work in close is hard too! Not to worry! Those herding dogs would rather be much, much farther away!