Thursday, September 18, 2008

Rehab vet appt.

Yesterday I took Miley to see a rehab vet up in Charlotte just to make sure the bar dropping isn't an injury. It was ruff because Miley had been in her crate all day. I came home and had about 15 min. to let her play and go the bathroom before putting her in the car. She was not happy. We got to our appt at about 5:30. There was a Shar-Pei dog in the waiting room. He just kept barking, growling and lunging at Miley. Miley was terrified. After about 2 minutes of this ( it felt like forever), I asked if we could go stand in the hallway. The hallway separates the waiting room and exam rooms. There is a solid door , so that dog couldn't see us. The mean dog stopped barking right when we left. I didn't need Miley to think this was a terrifying situation. We saw the vet, who I really like. She watched Miley trot up and down the hall. She then examined her and went through all her joints and muscles. Then watch her walk around some more. Then she wanted to see Miley sit. Usually Miley doesn't have a problem doing this. But last night she would sit for a split second, then down and then sit up. I had treats and I guess she was just trying to give me all her tricks to try and get the treat. It was funny. I finally got her to sit nice 3 different times. The vet said she didnt see or feel anything that would give her any indication that Miley was injured. She did say there is an injury the toy dogs get that could be possible but she didnt think Miley was showing any signs. A small dog can fall and hit their hip. The trauma causes the blood flow to stop to the ball of the femur bone. Then the ball starts to die because its not getting any blood. If you took an x-ray right when the dog got injured you wouldn't see anything. But in a couple of months the dying head of the femur would show up on x-ray. Its called leg-Perthe's disease. But she really didnt think Miley showed any pain. But its something to keep in the back of my mind.So if in another month I thought she was still having trouble we could do an x-ray. Then it was time to go home. I think I paid more for gas to get there than I did for the appt. We got back home around 8:30 at night. It was a long day for both of us.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

So the good news is that it probably isn't anything physical...and the bad news is that it probably is attitudinal! :)