Wednesday, March 5, 2008

not rewarding at the right time

I have been trying to teach Miley a "go on" command for months. She just isn't getting the hang of it. So last night I was throwing the ball down the hall and saying "go on". Well, guess when I was rewarding. After she got the ball and was bringing it back to me. So she probably thinks "go on" means bring me the ball back. So after I noticed that I started rewarding when she started running toward the ball. Today's agility practice went much better. Hopefully I was rewarding in the right place. The other day my friend noticed that I usually reward after she does the obstacle. I need to reward her going toward the obstacle and the beginning of the obstacle. ( like the tunnel entrance)That way she knows she doing it right.

Guiness had his first Shock wave treatment to his thigh muscle. He is doing well. I think they said they ice it for the next 48 hours and do tissue recovery. After that they will start low impact underwater treadmill.

3 comments:

Jules said...

It is scary what you can accidentally reward. My dog is a bit pokey and I think part of it is because I accidentally rewarded him for being pokey when he was younger. DRAT! : )

Diana said...

I just wish it wouldnt take me so long to recognize what Im doing wrong. I cant tell you how long Ive been working on "go on". Diana

Johann The Dog said...

Good you got some of it figured out! It should go more smoothly now, yes?

BTW - that car crate is soooo cool! And we are envious of your romp in the woods - no place like that here to go too and we've been dreaming about it!

Woofs, johann