Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Just one more time


Why do you think when we are practicing with our dogs we always just have to do it one more time. We know we should stop. The dog has done well, so lets end on a good note. But no, lets just try one more thing. And bam, one to many. I worked Miley today. She did very well. I worked on the sit stays in front of the jumps. She only broke once. I have a feeling I must have given some body cue because that was the time I was going to release her over the jump. But she released herself before the verbal command. We worked on "tight" which I think she has down pretty well. We also worked on "easy". That is coming along but has a ways to go. I started back chaining the sequence which seemed to help. Usually I start at the beginning and work forward. But someone talked about using back chaining even with experienced dogs. I do think it helped. We worked on the "out" command to the tunnel. That has a long way to go. And of course did teeter work and dog walk runs. I was going to just stop but then I thought, I'll just do one more thing. (Also she didn't do any circling around me and came to me every time I called her. Usually if I call her when we are practicing agility, she wont come all the way to me and will circle.) So, just one more try. I set her up in front of the jump on a sit stay. She broke it almost immediately and started circling. So I stopped, called her to me and rewarded. Then we played ball. Not a disaster, but I should have just stopped and I knew it. Ugh!! ( the picture above was of Miley at 13 weeks, she had just gotten over Parvo)

2 comments:

Jules said...

I do it all the time. It is def. something to work on. I watched your video of Miley the other day. Wow, she's fast!

manymuddypaws said...

it's human nature!!! we have all done it at one time or another. A good thing to get into the practice of is set a timer- 3 minutes. I wil also bring just 10 cookies out as well.
It is hard when you train by yourself to judge how long you should train for so the timer helps. Work for 3, put her away for 3-5. Set an over all time limit of no more than half an hour. You are lucky with the equipment at home. You could do a few 10 minute sessions each day and get porbably more out of it!