Monday, October 5, 2015

The big flood

Sorry I havent been posting.  I never even finished the post on Java's 2 double Qs. LOL  Then there was our clubs trial. Ugh. What a lot of work.  So I was trial chair again, because no one would do it and I had already hired the judges. I was in charge of the judges and the equipment. I think all of this took me over the edge.  Because by the next Tuesday, I had quit the agility committee.  I told them I would help for the Spring trials but then Im done. Why??  Because I always have to find people to fill the position and every time someone quits, I have to find someone else. And if I dont find someone, I have to do their job. Im so over it.
It started raining on Sept 24th, the day of set-up for the trial.

 It poured that day.  Blowing into the covered arena.

Then the water started flooding into the dirt arena.  Ack!!.  So we sandbagged and created dirt damns.  It worked pretty well.
On the positive, the dirt surface was the best its ever been. Im not sure , but it looks like they added new dirt to the surface. I also told them I need them to turn the dirt down 6 inches. They kept telling me they usually only go down an inch. I told them that was a big problem for the dogs.  The top dries and the dirt underneath is rock hard and dogs start slipping and get injured.  So they went down 6 inches. It was great !!  The only problem was the rain. It continued to rain all weekend.  It was blowing in on the one side, so that edge was getting soppy. We had to have the judge move the table because it couldn't stand up straight.  The next day, we moved the ring  out 5 feet, at the center. So no more deep mud.
I only got a few Qs.  Java and Miley both got jumpers Qs. Java got a FAST Q and and T2B Q.  Miley would have had a couple of more Qs but always dropped one bar.

This was my favorite run. I cant believe I made that blind cross at the dogwalk.  To bad I mess up at the tunnel. Ugh.

The freaking teeter is still a problem, although she did have a few good ones. But then some really bad fly offs too.

So the rain started on Sept 24 and its still raining today. The rain over the weekend turned into a massive flood here in Columbia , South Carolina and the surrounding areas.  It was suppose to start Friday and then Saturday.  We had rain on and off but no 10 inches. I kept thinking they didnt know what they were talking about. But Saturday night and into Sunday morning, I kept walking up to the pounding rain on the roof. I knew the rains had come.  And they just kept coming. In a very short time we had 8 inches of rain. Small damns just kept breaking and peoples homes and businesses flooded.

Our yard flooded a little. I usually have the dogwalk where that water is. So my husband and I went out and moved it because the yellow contacts were underwater.  The guy behind me has an in-ground pool.  He must not have emptied it  and it was running off into our yard.

The rest of these pictures were not taken by me.
This was taken by the Irmo Chapin Rec Commission.  This is Saluda Shouls park, that I walk the dogs at almost every day.  It has flooded before but not like this.  This is the entrance  to the park. That's a lot of flooding.

This is a house in Coldstream subdivision, not to far from me.

This is one of the two roads that leads to the Clubs agility field.  We are pretty sure the agility field was under water during this event.  It has a pond right next to it that is also controlled by damns. But not the same damn that caused this road to wash out.

This is a club member's house. They had just refinished doing the floors in their house.

This picture was taken by Shanon Huffman. This is ext 5 off I-77. You cant even see its a huge intersection. This is the exit to go to our club's building. Its also one exit after Amazon.  My son has been called off work the last two days. There are curfews at night here. Im not sure if Amazon had flooding or not, but workers have been told to stay home and that NEVER happens.
This lady checked our clubs building. Its flooded before but this time its really bad. The whole building flooded.  We had rolled up all the new mats in the back room and stacked them up. Not sure it helped. We sandbagged the doors but I guess that didnt help either. I had left the agility electronic equipment in the closet there. Usually its on the floor but I had put it all on the 3rd and 4th shelf. I hope its ok. Now I feel like I should have taken it home.

This picture I took off the television.  It shows the flooding across I-77. Just crazy.  People kept driving through flooded roads and there were so many rescues.

This was Shady Grove rd, not to far from my house.

This is why some of the highways are closed over the bridges. The water is all the way up to the top.  So trees and trash are hitting the bridges and causing problems. One tree hit the bridge and came over the top. So if cars had been going over when the tree hit, it would have been bad.

 This is Kings Grant, from WIS new, I cant believe this place is underwater.

This is also not far from my house. It all depends on where you live if you were flooded.

Here we are trying to fix the leaking roof again The tarp blew off.

In good news, its suppose to be sunny tomorrow. In bad news we had a trip to the beach , in the rv, planned.  We were going to see  Stephanie too. All that had to be canceled.  I know , based on everything that is going on, this is minor. But I was really looking forward to Lou and I having some time together.  Ugh.


Sara said...

Those pictures are incredible. Reminds me of when we had hurricane irene hit us and then hurricane lee the next week. Our bridge was destroyed, but many people were in far worse situations. I dread it ever happening again.

Hopefully the right people and money get to your area soon to help everyone get life back to normal as soon as possible.

Helen said...

You guys really got hit hard. It's made our national news two nights in a row. They said it was the worst in 1000 years, don't know who recorded the rainfall a 1000 years ago but I guess that means it was really bad. I also heard it had rained for 11 days, I know what it's like here when it snows for days on end you go stir crazy. Hope you're safe and dry and that there's not too much damage on your roof and at your club.