Sunday, February 24, 2008

lessons learned

This morning I went to my puppy performance class. I didn't really think about this when I was there but the class is very handler focused. Everything we did made the dog look at you and need you to perform. So after class I went to the clubs agility field. It was a disaster to say the least. I couldn't figure out why she was so handler focused. She just kept looking at me after every jump and wouldn't go out to the tunnel. At first I thought I was giving the commands to late but after a while I knew that wasn't it. So I set up an all obstacle focused exercise. She ran it well the first time. So for the last run before going home I thought we would run it backwards. She was completely handler focused. She needed to go over a jump to the tunnel and pulled off the tunnel, then came around and bit me hard in the butt. ( That cute face wouldn't do that) It hurt!! I was so mad. I picked her up and put her in the car. I really don't know if she understood why I did that. But I didn't know what else to do. Then I went back and put the equipment back in the shed. So while I was doing that I was thinking about why today was such a disaster. That's when it occurred to me that the class was all handler focused exercises. Poor Miley, Poor me and my butt.

1 comment:

Johann The Dog said...

Hi Diane! After reading your post, I know why you asked me the question about independence :)

I posted an answer that we took from the notes from the seminar here in the comments section.

http://blog.johannthedog.com/2008/02/more-from-silvia-trkman-seminar.html

I hope it helps.

Also, Johann was pretty handler focused in the beginning, I came across something that worked in teaching him to go on, go out, just go. Here is the post - maybe it will help you too!

http://blog.johannthedog.com/2007/06/fetching-for-distance-and-speed.html

Great blog you have, we'll be back to visit!

Woofs, Johann