Thursday, December 4, 2008

Miley's favorite toy

It starts like this.
And ends up like this.
I had a set back with Guiness. If you have been reading this blog for a while, then you know Guiness got lost at the beach for 2 days this summer. When we got back home, he wouldn't go for walks when it was dark. But after several months he has gotten much better. He has been walking every morning now. Well last night I was feeling bad about not exercising my dogs enough. It gets dark so early and its been unusually cold. So last night I decided to take the two shelties on a walk in the neighborhood. We were in a culd-de-sac and a dog came running out of the dark barking like mad. I didn't recognize the dog. He kept barking and barking. I was just trying to get back down the street hoping that if we could get off his street he would leave us alone. But then a boy came out of his house and the dog became more aggressive. Lunging and barking. It was all I could do to keep my dogs back and try to stand in front to block the other dog. But the dog was also circling. I couldn't get into my pocket to get the mace/pepper spray because I wanted to keep good hold of the leashes. It was horrible and I wanted to cry. Then boy finally dove for his dog and by some miracle got him. He did apologize. I had never seen this dog out before so it probably wasn't something that happens alot. We start to walk down the street and Guiness is freaked out. His tail is down, his ears are pinned down and he keeps looking behind him. He did that the whole way home. He was skittish a couple of times when peoples heat pumps kicked on. Great. So guess what? This morning , he refused to go for the morning walk. Six months down the tubes.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww, poor guiness!

amanda at manymuddypaws

Dawn said...

Geeze. People that can't control their dogs are a big problem. Poor Guiness! Maybe he'll go just to the end of the driveway for a week or so...then a bit more...??

Sara said...

Poor Guiness. That makes me so mad when I hear stories like that.

As a person who has had two dogs physically bitten (one severely) by other dogs in situations just like that, I always carry my pepper spary in my hand.

That is part of the reason why Oreo is uncomfortable with the other dogs in his agility class. I think he remembers that dark morning when the big dog lunged across the road, threw him on the ground, and bit him. (while I kicked the dog and literally broke my foot!)

I give Oreo lots of treats when we walk now. Especially when I hear a big dog barking, as that gets him very agitated. I also avoid going near the house where the dog bit him.

Jules said...

Oh no!!! That sucks.

Chris and Ricky said...

That's terrible - poor Guiness! Sorry you had to experience that when you were just out there trying to do something good for your dogs! Hopefully it won't take as long for Guiness to get back to wanting to walk again. Good luck!!

Diana said...

Poor Oreo. Miley doesnt like other dogs getting very close to her. She is ok in classes and at the trial. But if they get to close in her face she will growl at them. Im not sure how this incident will effect her. I go to a class tomorrow , so we will see. Im going to the sportman wearhouse today to see if they have some type of strap or something so that I can keep the mace/pepper spray on the outside of my clothing. Diana