Thursday, March 31, 2016

Finishing up the carpet in RV

So First I put down noise barrier insulation.  It's some type of tar type substance with silver on top. 
 
It's a peel and stick type stuff.  There are several different brands. This one is called B-quiet.   It worked pretty well. I can now here the radio when I drive. 

Next up was the padding. 

I just bought some stuff from Home Depot.  It was pre-cut, 6x9 , I think. You can see where I cut the holes for the screws that hold the chairs down. 

Then I cut the first piece of carpet for the front section. I felt it was easier to work with it like this.  I did put carpet tack boards along both sides of the front RV section. But no place else. I used a carpet staple every where else in the front. 

So I put it under the side walls, that are covered with vinyl. (That is under where your feet go).  You can see I cut an X in the carpet and then put the chair base back in. I couldn't figure out any other way to do it.  That was tough enough. 

Then I stapled the carpet over the edge and down that step  you see right there.  I then removed the carpet off the doghouse. Lots of old glue and staples around the edges of the old doghouse. I just kept the old piece of carpet as a template to cut out the new piece.  I then used contact cement on the top, to glue it down and stapled it along the edges. There were several places with "V" cuts in it. I just followed their pattern. Worked out pretty nice.   Just don't cut it like you do fabric patterns.  You know "right sides together".  Other wise it won't fit. Yes I messed of the first one and had to cut it again. 
For the living area of the RV, I put tack strips all around. 
I even used Z-bars with tack strips near the vinyl. It's suppose to help you fold over the carpet  and make a nice edge. I couldn't get it to work and had to pull all those tack strips up. I just folded over the edge and stapled it down. 

This was the big piece I layed down in the back. I did cut it some what before bringing it in. I didn't go under the slide. I didn't pull the carpet up under the slide either. It was to hard to get to. I read a lot on the Internet and it sounds like most poeple leave it there.  I used double stick tape and taped the old and new carpet together. 



I put a piece of extra new carpet under my black chair, just so it wouldn't leave marks on the carpet.  I also put down some carpet runners to protect the carpet from the rain this weekend. 
I didn't do the steps. I've ordered sand colored vinyl to put on them, since they get most of the wetness from the rain and the dirt off your shoes. I'll try to get that done next week. 

5 comments:

Helen said...

I think you did a great job. I wouldn't even tackle that. Too bad things didn't go so well at the weekend trial.

Sara said...

I think you should have your own HGTV show! RV Remodels!

Dawn said...

Wow You are so talented! It looks great! The RV is really big!! Is the black chair bolted down? Or just a chair you put there?

This has to be easier than staying in hotels for trials...after you get all this work done that is!

Diana said...

Dawn, the black chair isnt blotted down, it just sitting there.

Diana said...

Dawn, the black chair isnt blotted down, it just sitting there.