Monday, July 8, 2013

Owls

We did have some sunshine yesterday in between the rain.  Today, dark and dreary outside. Ugh! I took Miley and Java to the park.  The park is starting to flood. They will probably close the walking paths tomorrow.  I walked half way down the path and ran into this:

It didnt look to deep so I walked through.   I carried Miley and made Java walk. She wasnt to happy about that.  It was deeper than I thought, it came up to just below my knees. As soon as I started walking through an owl flew by.  Then right when I got to the end, there was another owl sitting right next to me, just ten feet away. I think he was as shocked as I was. He just stared at me. I could see he was kinda panicked. Trying to figure out what to do, fly away or stand still.  I just stood still looking at him.  I know if I went for my camera, he would fly away. Darn, nothing to do but wait. He did fly up into some trees but I could still see him.

Most of my shots were blurry. This one was the best shot I got out of seeing three owls.

It was dark at the park which makes taking pictures difficult.
 Im not sure how much farther we walk before turning around and going back.  The owls were all still hanging out in the same areas. I think they are watching the sidewalks for rodents and snakes running across from the rising water. For the first time I saw a rat run across the sidewalk and  Ive been going to the park for at least 6 years now. 

When I walked back through the flood sidewalk , I carried both dogs.   The water was now higher. The first time it was below my knees, now it was above my knees. The whole time walking through it I kept thinking, "Please dont let me see a snake". So the walking paths will be closed by tomorrow, Im sure.  More rain coming today.


Sorry, kinda blurry.


4 comments:

Cowspotdog said...

I don't know what it is about owls - just love them and these are wonderful shots.

Sara said...

Owls are cool, rats are not! EEEEEK!

It's been a very rainy summer.

Chris and Ricky said...

Great owl photos! It has been raining a lot here too.

Cowspotdog said...

You will eventually work out the pacing. Totally love that first of the flooded path photos....it is almost magical - like at any moment a unicorn could just appear there - what an awesome photo