Sunday, April 5, 2009

AKC trial , 2nd day

This was the jumpers course for today. It seemed really hard to me. I should have just run it like I normally would have but I was worried about her going off course like yesterday. ( sorry the course map is weird and a little blurry, but I was to lazy to scan it in and just to a picture of it. The judge's name is C. Kean) Now also remember that sometimes things look different when you actually walk the course. So I was worried about her after jump 3, that she would take the double in front of her( which would be the back side of #16) To prevent this I was planning a front cross between 3 and 4. It didn't seem that hard when I walked it as long as I was in the correct place doing the cross.(normally I would have just post turned 3 to 4 ) Well here is what happened. I put Miley in the tunnel and the ran to blind cross the tunnel to get out in front of her so that I could make the front cross in time. Well, when she came out of the tunnel , she must have saw me taking off down the line. I'm not sure if she was just trying to speed up or if she was looking at me and not really looking at the triple that was in front of her. But she crashed the triple The person who ran after me, said she took off way to early to clear the jump. And because I was so flustered that she crashed the jump ( she seemed ok, she got up and started running again) that I lost my concentration and was in the wrong place to cross. When I crossed , the jump was right in front of me and I had to jump it. There was nothing I could do. After I got myself back together , the rest of the run was beautiful. I will post the edited run here. I cut out the beginning because I hate seeing it and feel it is all my fault. Someone was wearing a shirt today that said, "great dog, slap the handler". I should have been wearing that. The judge did tell me she probably wouldnt put a triple after the tunnel again. Another dog slammed into the side post of the triple. I watched a lot of the excellent group, which had to same begining, I didnt see any prolbems. So it was my fault.

Someone came and talked to me about my contacts. She said that sometimes when you put pressure on the dog, to try and make them stop, it actually makes them jump the contact. So maybe that is why she jumped even higher up yesterday. When I looked at the standard course for today, it started tire to the dogwalk. I started thinking that I never put pressure on her to stop at home. We practice with me running by. So I thought I would give it a try. My plan was to do just the tire to the dogwalk and then leave the course no matter what happens. If she stopped, have a party. If she doesn't stop, well we are leaving the ring anyway. ( not in a bad way, just run out of the ring. ) When it was our turn, I did just that. Tire to the dogwalk. I didn't feel like I slowed down on the dogwalk. Miley took a huge jump of the dogwalk. So we ran out of the ring. She did go over the A-frame when we left ( oops) . I didn't see what she did. But I was told she had a nice running a-frame. Go figure. It must be me , huh? Karen Holik was at the trial this weekend. She said, I slowed while miley was going over the dogwalk. But after seeing her, she feels Miley still doesn't understand her job. So lots of training.

7 comments:

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

OOOOH, how come the list of things to train never seems to get shorter, seems there is always more to add to the list, LOL, you guys look awesome in the video you posted. Good for you for sticking to your plan with the dogwalk.

Dawn said...

Ok, no beating yourself up. It's all about having fun. I think the whole thing is entirely the handler, good AND bad. So the parts where she's beautiful? That's you too!

Sara said...

Is it a disqualification if the human does an obstacle? I am always so close to running into obstacles that I am bound to have to do a jump myself at some point.

Just curious.

Sorry, things didn't go as well as you hoped. I think after getting Miley back to training, your next trial will be a complete 180.

Chris and Ricky said...

Well the part of the JWW you showed on the video was great! Nice handling and nice running and jumping by Miley. You guys didn't really have much time to practice and to get back in synch, so I think you did well this weekend....Thanks for sharing your experience and telling about the good parts as well as the not-so-good parts. Glad Miley wasn't hurt crashing into the triple!

Natasha said...

Wow, I hope I can get Wall-e to run at the speeds Miley does. :o

Don't worry, we all make mistakes!! Trust me...I should know ;) The ending of that JWW course looked beautiful!

~Nat

Lian said...

Miley ran nicely in the video. Contacts and dogs are always "something" hidden in their mind. I am sure you will fix it in no times. Don't get too worried about it.

Dawn P said...

The video looked great. Whisper used to have that problem with contacts. She never jumped the zone but the more I tried to make her stop, the more she didn't want to stop. It was a big mess.

We ended up with running zones but it's a really hard thing to maintain and I plan on eating a lot of runs because of judging. She doesn't usually jump the zone but might jump high and the judge can't make the correct call. But better for her confidence overall.