Friday, December 26, 2008

We are home!!

Yea, a bed that can hold two adults and 4 dogs. Its always nice to see family but oh so good to come home. It was very warm in Savannah, 75 degrees. I had to call my husband on the way down and tell him to throw some short sleeve t-shirts in the car. I should have also asked for shorts. My husband and son came down later that night after my son finished work. It was warm and then with the cooking on Christmas it was 80 degrees in the house. After eating Christmas dinner I saw a dog head pop up around the buffet table. I went over to see what was going on and my mom's dog had gotten a turkey leg off the turkey tray. At least it wasn't one of my dogs. But later that night Roxy was found standing on the table eating the butter was was left out. Which is why the Chihuahuas spend most of the time lock in our bedroom when we visit my mom.
This morning my mom and I were going through old photo books. Some of the pictures were dated 1886. My mom was trying to tell me who all the people were in the pictures. I really hope she doesn't think I can remember all these people. My mom is from Germany so there are lots of unusual names. My grandmother's name was Classuen and then she married a Hamdorff. That was my mom's dad. He died in WWII. My grandmother remarried a Roeschmann. So there are lots of extra people to know. So we got through that album. Then we opened one of my dad's albums. There are lots of pictures of him in the military. I don't know if you will think this is funny but it just struck me as hilarious. We were going through the book and she points to these two pictures and says, " That's when you dad was on that cruise ( she pauses) the Forrestal." Well when you think of a cruise, you think fun, sun and sitting by the pool drinking. The USS Forrestal was on commission for the Vietnam war. My dad was aboard that aircraft carrier along with the famous John McCain. During the tour a bomb misfired off one of the planes on deck. There was a huge fire and hole in the ship. Many men lost their lives. It changed the way the fire was fought on ships. All the firemen were lost in the first explosion and no one left on ship knew how to fight the fire. So after that, all shipmates had to be taught how to fight fires on ships in case that ever happens again. Not exactly a cruise. So every time I think about my mom saying that it just cracks me up.

4 comments:

Sara said...

I've heard about some people going on some pretty bad cruises before, but I think that story tops them all! Funny!

Interesting bit of history.

Dawn said...

Yep, a really really bad cruise! Was your mom married to him at the time? Maybe that's the only way she can handle thinking about it! Glad you're home safe and sound.

Diana said...

Yes they were married and my mom was home taking care of three kids. I really think it was just a word mix up as we were going through the book. It just struck me as funny.

Chris and Ricky said...

Using the word "cruise" was funny! It was anything but a cruise....

Glad you had a good Christmas - 80 degrees sounds great to mom but horrible to me!